Claiming ESA whilst at uni. Watch

DarthCookie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm due to be starting an undergraduate degree full time in September. I'm currently classed as a mature disabled student. I'm in receipt of ESA as well as DLA at the lower rate. I'm also going through an assessment for PIP. Would I still be able to claim ESA?

Also, I'm currently in receipt of Housing benefit. I was looking to live in halls of residence due to travel costs being high. Would I be able to still claim housing benefit for my flat and reside in halls.
Aly Lim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not sure, you could google it?
DarthCookie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've tried but not found much information about it.
(Original post by Aly Lim)
I’m not sure, you could google it?
Aly Lim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh, sorry, but I cannot help then. Good luck😉
rcmotorboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DarthCookie)
I'm due to be starting an undergraduate degree full time in September. I'm currently classed as a mature disabled student. I'm in receipt of ESA as well as DLA at the lower rate. I'm also going through an assessment for PIP. Would I still be able to claim ESA?
If you are studying full time, that means having to go to lectures four to five times a week and having to build onto completing coursework during weekends and not working, then no, because the chances are, that you can't claim ESA because you're not really in employment or trying to get into employment then it seems least likely.

Edit: https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...ce/eligibility
but after looking up, it seems that you could claim it and yeah it seems confusing. Maybe they may take the results from your assessments that you got to get the ESA in the first place, so more likely, yes.
Last edited by rcmotorboy; 1 week ago
Cazemma
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
if it's income related you can claim esa but your student loans will be deducted from what they pay you (even if you don'tt apply for the student loan they will still work out what loan you are entitled to and deduct it from esa so basically you are forced to get the mainainance loan) if you get PIP or dla you can continue to claim housing benefit for your flat as long as you continue to live there full time (not in halls)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Cazemma; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise