lucym911
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hola everyone!

With the recent European Parliament elections having the highest UK turnout in 20 years at a shockingly low 50.5%, I spoke to my friends and family to discuss whether they had voted and so many of them said that they hadn't. I couldn't believe it! We are so lucky to live in a functioning democracy where we each have the right to choose what we want from our nation and its leaders, yet so many people don't. In what is potentially the most important vote of our lifetime - the referendum - 12.9 million people still did not vote, despite the huge level of coverage across the country.

I've heard various reasons as to why people haven't voted; it's too confusing, they don't pay enough attention so don't want to vote for the wrong candidate, they simply don't have a clue what's going on etc.

SO... I have two questions for you...

1. If you didn't vote in the European Parliament elections, the referendum, the 2017 general election (and you were eligible to)... Why didn't you?

2. What would get you to vote? Would you find a one-stop website/youtube channel etc which would explain everything in a short, snappy, simple way each week so that you can get an idea of what's currently happening, and also the background info like how our political system works, the parties, policies etc.

-- What would get you to vote?

Thank you!

Lucy
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I was gonna vote labour during the general elections but my friend who's a tory and very much into politics gave a ton of reasons why labour is ****.
So in the end i realised i didnt know enough to vote
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did vote, but among my friends/family who didn't, the most common reasons were:

1. Among my Leave-supporting grandparents: "We should have left the EU by now. I'm not going to vote in elections that shouldn't be happening."

2. Among my friends, most are away at uni and either forgot or couldn't be bothered to switch their voting location or arrange a postal vote.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I haven't voted in the past 2 occasions that I could have, local elections and the EU elections..

1, because I really didn't care about the results.
2, complete electoral reform.

The right to abstain is a political choice, some people just don't want to vote, because they would rather pick nothing then one of the options... other people don't want political responsibility, and are not interested in having a say.. both of those are legitimate options, and those people shouldn't be forced into choosing if they don't want to.

For me, I have no idea if I will vote again in the next general election.. I will look at who the candidates are in my local area and if there is a good local indipendant, they will get my vote. If the only options are the 3/4 main parties - then I don't want to give my support to any of them. I would rather not vote, then be forced to endorse the 'least' worst option. If any party offers electoral reform, they will get my vote in a heartbeat.
Palmyra
Report 3 months ago
are you a fed

1. I voted in the GE and referendum but not the EP elections. I don't care about EP elections.
2. ur a fed aren't you admit it
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palmyra)
are you a fed

1. I voted in the GE and referendum but not the EP elections. I don't care about EP elections.
2. ur a fed aren't you admit it
Haha.. A fed never tells 😉

Out of interest, why don't you care about European Parliament elections? They are equally, if not moreso, important because (currently) any laws our Parliament make must be compliant with the EU and if they aren't, become invalid... We are bound by the EU. Although, saying that, the EP actually don't have much power at all which is sad given that they are the only real democratic branch.
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I haven't voted in the past 2 occasions that I could have, local elections and the EU elections..

1, because I really didn't care about the results.
2, complete electoral reform.

The right to abstain is a political choice, some people just don't want to vote, because they would rather pick nothing then one of the options... other people don't want political responsibility, and are not interested in having a say.. both of those are legitimate options, and those people shouldn't be forced into choosing if they don't want to.

For me, I have no idea if I will vote again in the next general election.. I will look at who the candidates are in my local area and if there is a good local indipendant, they will get my vote. If the only options are the 3/4 main parties - then I don't want to give my support to any of them. I would rather not vote, then be forced to endorse the 'least' worst option. If any party offers electoral reform, they will get my vote in a heartbeat.
That's interesting. What in particular do you not like about our electoral system as it is?
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by angelike1)
I was gonna vote labour during the general elections but my friend who's a tory and very much into politics gave a ton of reasons why labour is ****.
So in the end i realised i didnt know enough to vote
Labour is da wae even if Corbyn gives me allergies.
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
I did vote, but among my friends/family who didn't, the most common reasons were:

1. Among my Leave-supporting grandparents: "We should have left the EU by now. I'm not going to vote in elections that shouldn't be happening."

2. Among my friends, most are away at uni and either forgot or couldn't be bothered to switch their voting location or arrange a postal vote.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I thought that was going to happen: "I'm not going to vote in elections that shouldn't be happening". It's a shame because, if anything, it is all the more reason to vote! Voting is a form of expression and so, as Leave-supporting people, they could have voted Brexit Party or another pro-leave group.

I guess that's understandable about your friends away at uni. Glad you voted though
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Exams
Lushydushy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I dont really know what each party does as im not that into politics, and I turned 18 like months ago so choosing which party to support wasn’t a priority for me. Maybe once I start to learn more then I’d probably vote
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Exams
Hmmm... But it takes a second to cross a box and a couple more to put it in a letterbox... Out of interest, do you have time to go on social media, watch Youtube/Netflix?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lucym911)
Hmmm... But it takes a second to cross a box and a couple more to put it in a letterbox... Out of interest, do you have time to go on social media, watch Youtube/Netflix?
Oh **** off you condescending ****

Never been spoken down to on the internet and it's not gonna happen in relation to the European elections of all things

Man doesn't vote because man doesn't want to vote
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lushydushy)
I dont really know what each party does as im not that into politics, and I turned 18 like months ago so choosing which party to support wasn’t a priority for me. Maybe once I start to learn more then I’d probably vote
Thanks for your reply. Yeh that's understandable. There are some really good sites like www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com and uk.isidewith.com which could help for the next elections (although they're a while away yet so I'm sure you'll have learned more by then ). They make quizzes about relevant issues and you just say how much you agree or disagree with the statements given and then it tells you which party/candidate your views most align with. It's really handy!

Would you say that a non-biased website which just told you the facts but in a clear but also entertaining way would be helpful to start you off when you're ready to learn more? I want to find a way for young people to get interested in politics without all the ******** that comes with it in the usual forms like in the newspapers, TV, social media etc.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I do for general elections and would for local elections were i at home but im not and really do not care about my uni area. Didn't vote in the EU elections as seemed far removed and irrelevant. Plus was in the middle of my deadlines, town is 2 miles away and couldnt be bothered to spend money on a return bus ticket just for that. I dont like any party really they are all as bad as each other at this point and i dont like people being looked down on for not voting etc especially women who are the ones most often guilt tripped into it. Yes it is great everyone has the opportunity to vote and shouldnt take that for granted however part of a democracy is the democratic right to not vote. I didnt want to vote in those particular elections so i didnt.
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Oh **** off you condescending ****

Never been spoken down to on the internet and it's not gonna happen in relation to the European elections of all things

Man doesn't vote because man doesn't want to vote
Lol. If "man" doesn't want to vote, "man" should have just said that instead of creating an excuse of "exams". "Man" knows he's wrong or "man" would not lash out.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lucym911)
Lol. If "man" doesn't want to vote, "man" should have just said that instead of creating an excuse of "exams". "Man" knows he's wrong or "man" would not lash out.
Er, nah, I'm perfectly happy with the status quo. I vote in my own national elections where I know that my vote will matter. What I don't like is randomers pretending to play nice before trying to get clever with me. Not on TSR of all places.
Lushydushy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes I feel as though a non-biased website with information about each party and what they do would be very helpful. My mother has always told me to vote for a certain party but I didn’t exactly know what they offered.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did vote but only begrudgingly, the biggest argument against voting is an argumeng against democracy, just look around at the people that exist today and ask yourself if you want them voting, Democracy is the will of the people, but it is very clear the will of the people is morally corrupt and detrimental to the health of the country and the world.
Last edited by AperfectBalance; 3 months ago
lucym911
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I do for general elections and would for local elections were i at home but im not and really do not care about my uni area. Didn't vote in the EU elections as seemed far removed and irrelevant. Plus was in the middle of my deadlines, town is 2 miles away and couldnt be bothered to spend money on a return bus ticket just for that. I dont like any party really they are all as bad as each other at this point and i dont like people being looked down on for not voting etc especially women who are the ones most often guilt tripped into it. Yes it is great everyone has the opportunity to vote and shouldnt take that for granted however part of a democracy is the democratic right to not vote. I didnt want to vote in those particular elections so i didnt.
Hey, thanks for your reply. You could always use the postal vote in the future but yeh I definitely agree that it's difficult to know if/who to vote for when your views don't particularly align with any of the main parties/candidates. I would also advocate voting, even if it's to spoil your vote, but I agree that it's our own decision whether to vote or not. I hope you got all your assignments in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest