Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Heya I’m a 16 female born and raised in the U.K. I’m from the U.K. purely and like the most heritage I have is a long trace of German.

Recently I’ve been really struggling with a few different things in my life and have legitimately been considering (idk what you call it so I’m just gonna say joining) joining a religion.

I went to a Christian school for the entirety of my primary years and attempted to follow it until I was around 13, however I never really connected with the beliefs or practise. My mother is what I can only describe as the weirdest pagan hippy. We celebrate the summer and winter solstice every year with rituals and celebrations, but like Christianity it never really felt right.

I was more in depth considering looking into Buddhism however I was nervous as I’m white and have no background in Buddhism (that could be completely wrong I literally have no knowledge of how diverse it is).

Has anyone experienced similar *not issues* but like events of discovery idek,, I’m grasping at straws of who to talk to about this fr
CartoonSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Out of curiosity, what drew you to buddhism?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buddhism is super diverse and always has been since its inception in what is now Nepal, through its distribution in India, the greater Gandhara region of Pakistan and Afghanistan, through to China, Sri Lanka, Tibet, Japan, and eventually to the West (it is possible that it was in Greece in antiquity, too). Don't worry about being a white person interested in Buddhism. Nobody cares except some frumpy old Hindu Brahmins.

The Buddha himself in principle railed against limitations of religion based on colour and caste, actually.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (88)
64.71%
I don't have everything I need (48)
35.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed