GCSE HISTORY HELP(plus medical university question)!

Watch
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Tbh, I do admit that I have been neglecting history for a very long time, as I have been focusing on the sciences and maths, as I want to go into medicine.

1. Does anyone have any cramming or last minute tips for revising history content+exam technique?

2. Do medical universities take into account GCSEs (especially history, as I am quite panicked that if I do badly on history, it will bring all of my gades down and I won't be able to get into medical school...!
mez_merising
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1) mindmap each topic without looking at anything (called blurting if you've heard of it?) and then go back into the mindmap with all your revision materials. once you have a firm grasp of the content, look at the structure of your exam and learn how to answer the qs to get the top marks

2) i don't think one bad gcse will affect your chances at med school (unless you're going for oxbridge, although then again if you get high grades in everything else then they may dismiss it) most unis take a holistic approach, they look at gcse, a level predictions, references, personal statements and interviews so they won't just base it on one thing
pancakesbob7
Rep:
?
thanks!
(Original post by mez_merising)1) mindmap each topic without looking at anything (called blurting if you've heard of it?) and then go back into the mindmap with all your revision materials. once you have a firm grasp of the content, look at the structure of your exam and learn how to answer the qs to get the top marks

2) i don't think one bad gcse will affect your chances at med school (unless you're going for oxbridge, although then again if you get high grades in everything else then they may dismiss it) most unis take a holistic approach, they look at gcse, a level predictions, references, personal statements and interviews so they won't just base it on one thing
Left Toe Rule
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, so many quick, cartoon style mini documentaries on conflicts ect that are in the GCSE syllabuses are available on youtube. Watching them gave me a broad understanding and made me want to learn more about each topic area. In addition its more of an active style of revision rather than starring at a book all day.
pancakesbob7
Rep:
?
Are there any particular youtube channels which you use?
(Original post by Left Toe Rule)
Honestly, so many quick, cartoon style mini documentaries on conflicts ect that are in the GCSE syllabuses are available on youtube. Watching them gave me a broad understanding and made me want to learn more about each topic area. In addition its more of an active style of revision rather than starring at a book all day.
Left Toe Rule
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pancakesbob7)
Are there any particular youtube channels which you use?
Yep,
John D Ruddy- Youtube channel. Did an amazing Vietnam mini documentary thingy. (Not sure if u study Vietnam or not) - He also does really good little docu-cartoons about other historical events such as WW1, the Russian (Soviet) Revolution, American civil war and WW2.
OverSimplified- Another good youtube channel with hundreds of videos on so many historical events that appears in the GCSE syllabus for many boards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads