kaycee2t
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This question is about four organic compounds, each containing two carbon atoms:
A CH3CH2OH
B CH3CHO
C CH3COOH
D CH3COCl

0.01mol of each compound is heated separately with excess acidified sodium dichromate(VI).
Which compound reduces the largest amount of sodium dichromate(VI)?

Why is the answer A? Is it because it can be oxidised to an aldehyde then a carboxylic acid?
RiemannN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I believe the answer is A because after an alcohol has been oxidised to an aldehyde it can further undergo oxidation under reflux to produce a carboxylic acid whereas only one oxidation reaction occurs to produce a Ketone, B. A carboxylic acid can’t then be oxidised further so it can’t be C and for D, I think a substation reaction occurs but even then less sodium dichromate would be reduced compared to A.
ellathenerd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, it is a because two moles of oxygen are used (to an aldehyde and then a carboxylic acid) compared to just one in B (to just get to a carboxylic acid. C cannot be oxidised at all. So A uses up the most sodium dichromate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (10)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.22%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.19%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (42)
28.38%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.57%

Watched Threads