The Student Room Group

Going to fail Latin A Level

I’m convinced I’m going to fail for Latin, just did a practice paper and got 10/45, my literature is fine but my language is terrible!! Is anyone else struggling? The exam is literally next week so I’m guessing maybe not :frown:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Why do people still take Latin? It's a dead language that hardly anyone speaks these days since the Renaissance
Reply 3
It’s fun lol, definitely got me a place at uni a lot easier, do I need some deep and selfless reason??
Original post by The RAR
Why do people still take Latin? It's a dead language that hardly anyone speaks these days since the Renaissance
Reply 4
Original post by odyssey29
It’s fun lol, definitely got me a place at uni a lot easier, do I need some deep and selfless reason??

As long as you enjoy it, it's cool. Regarding your post, there is not much I can help you with as I don't take really take humanities
I’m convinced I’m going to fail for Latin, just did a practice paper and got 10/45, my literature is fine but my language is terrible!! Is anyone else struggling? The exam is literally next week so I’m guessing maybe not :frown:

Are you studying classics at uni?
Reply 6
English and classics yeah:smile:
Original post by Wildone72
Are you studying classics at uni?

Nice! Classics is the most interesting thing ever!
I plan on taking AS Latin next year. Any tips?
Reply 9
I’m really excited about doing it! Are you doing classics as well?
Reply 10
Definitely - firstly learn your words as you come across them! Make a ton of quizlet sets and try and learn a number of words (like 20 or more) a week. Not knowing my vocab is definitely my biggest drawback for my exams coming up. Also learn your literature as you get it- The stepup for literature from gcse to a level is massive and there’s a ton to learn (which can definitely not be done last minute🙏🏻)
Are you doing gcse at the moment?:smile:
Original post by ThunderBeard
I plan on taking AS Latin next year. Any tips?
Yes, technically I have done my Latin one since it was before half term. but yes. And thank you for your help. how big is the step up in literature, sounds like a pain.
Definitely - firstly learn your words as you come across them! Make a ton of quizlet sets and try and learn a number of words (like 20 or more) a week. Not knowing my vocab is definitely my biggest drawback for my exams coming up. Also learn your literature as you get it- The stepup for literature from gcse to a level is massive and there’s a ton to learn (which can definitely not be done last minute🙏🏻)
Are you doing gcse at the moment?:smile:
I’m really excited about doing it! Are you doing classics as well?

YASS 😃
Reply 13
Honestly it’s pretty big- I’ve got to learn around 30 chapters (paragraphs) of Cicero, around 20 of Tacitus and that’s just prose- for verse I have around 500 likes of poetry plus. As long as you keep on top of it though it’s actually fine, and lot easier to learn than it sounds.
Original post by ThunderBeard
Yes, technically I have done my Latin one since it was before half term. but yes. And thank you for your help. how big is the step up in literature, sounds like a pain.
Reply 14
Which uni if you don’t mind me asking?:smile:
YASS 😃
hmm debatable

Quick Reply

Latest