MaxGCB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would someone please explain in detail the relationship between the two? I understand that atomic radius is related to ionisation energy but I can't see how it may be related to electronegativity.

And it appears that they are not inversely proportional to each other, but I couldn't find any explanation for this (or for the relationship between the two) online.
CoolR
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Electronegativity increases across a period and decreases down a group. Like ionisation energy electronegativity is also affected by shielding and nuclear charge as well as atomic radius. For example, electronegativity decreases down a group as atomic radius increases (nuclear charge increases but shielding also increases - hence cancelling each other out). A larger atomic radius means that the bonding electrons are further from the attractive pull of the nucleus so are less strongly attracted.
jesss_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Electronegativity is the ability to attract bonding pairs of electrons.

If the atomic radius is smaller, then the nucleus can attract electrons more easily, and they’ll be held closer and more strongly. These smaller atoms are more electronegative.

If the atomic radius is larger, there are more shells and shielding has a big effect, meaning that the bonding electrons are not held so strongly to the nucleus. These larger are atoms are not very electronegative.

Atomic radius increases down a group.
Electronegativity decreases down a group.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.09%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.62%

Watched Threads