0.4 Part Time Primary Teacher - What to expect? Watch

username4747872
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm a Primary Teacher and just changed my role to part-time to better fit in with my children and family commitments. In September I'll be starting a new school with the 0.4 part-time teacher role. I will be teaching 2 days a week on Monday-Tuesday, and my job sharer will be teaching Wednesday-Friday, 3 days.

Wondered if anyone who has been in this situation/ fellow part time teachers could give me a brief overview of how workload will work between us so I'm more familar? Obviously, I am teaching 2 days a week, with the hope that it will not eat into my family duties other days of the week to much.

How much time each week would you say out of my 2 days at School would I need to devote to planning, assessment and marking? I'm set on working evenings when I come home on each of my school days.

Would you say only 1 day unpaid planning a week? Obviously, I'm in the class less than the other teacher so should set boundaries for myself with how much 'work' outside I do. Just a bit worried that i'll end up 'working' outside of school more than I should because I've been used to doing it full-time so need to set new expectations for myself. Wondered what would be expected in my situation?

Stepping down to 0.4 will be positive for my family and myself, hoping this will make work-life balance easier whilst my children are young.

Opinions on how I should split my workload over the week, given I'm in 2 days would be much appreciated - new to the job sharer community.

Thanks,
Michelle G
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by username4747872)
Hi all,

I'm a Primary Teacher and just changed my role to part-time to better fit in with my children and family commitments. In September I'll be starting a new school with the 0.4 part-time teacher role. I will be teaching 2 days a week on Monday-Tuesday, and my job sharer will be teaching Wednesday-Friday, 3 days.

Wondered if anyone who has been in this situation/ fellow part time teachers could give me a brief overview of how workload will work between us so I'm more familar? Obviously, I am teaching 2 days a week, with the hope that it will not eat into my family duties other days of the week to much.

How much time each week would you say out of my 2 days at School would I need to devote to planning, assessment and marking? I'm set on working evenings when I come home on each of my school days.

Would you say only 1 day unpaid planning a week? Obviously, I'm in the class less than the other teacher so should set boundaries for myself with how much 'work' outside I do. Just a bit worried that i'll end up 'working' outside of school more than I should because I've been used to doing it full-time so need to set new expectations for myself. Wondered what would be expected in my situation?

Stepping down to 0.4 will be positive for my family and myself, hoping this will make work-life balance easier whilst my children are young.

Opinions on how I should split my workload over the week, given I'm in 2 days would be much appreciated - new to the job sharer community.

Thanks,
Michelle G
Hey - sorry no one has answered this yet, just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon!

Tagging in SarcAndSpark and 04MR17 in case either of them have an answer to this
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Hey - sorry no one has answered this yet, just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon!

Tagging in SarcAndSpark and 04MR17 in case either of them have an answer to this
Hi

I'm pretty sure this user posted the same thread under another name where she got some useful responses!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.37%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (77)
33.77%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
21.05%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.77%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
14.04%

Watched Threads