lovegossip99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone offer me any guidance or advice on how to answer the following questions. Im really struggling with structure and what to write for each section of law.

1. Look at the following quote from a speech given by the then Lord Chancellor, Lord Falconer in 2005 at a conference entitled “Risk and Redress: Preventing a compensation culture”.

“It is vital compensation claims continue to play their part in improving health and safety. But we must be clear that our continued commitment to legitimate compensation claims is entirely consistent with rejecting a culture which says for every injury there must be someone liable to pay. That culture stultifies reasonable risk taking, it hits organisational efficiency and competitiveness and it prevents worthwhile activity.”

Explain, by reference to case law, the way in which judges use the concept of a duty of care to ensure rejection of “a culture which says for every injury there must be someone liable to pay”.

You must select two (and no more) of the following areas of English law on which to base your answer.

i. Duty for omissions
ii. Duty for the wrongs of third parties
iii. Duty for words
iv. Duty for nervous shock
v. Duty for pure economic loss
vi. Duty owed by the police and emergency services

2. Examine the following statement by Lord Templeman in CBS v Amstrad Consumer Electronics PLC [1988] AC 1013.

“ Since Anns v Merton London Borough [1978] AC 728 put the floodgates on the jar, a fashionable plaintiff alleges negligence. The pleading assumes we are all neighbours now, Pharisees and Samaritans alike, that foreseeability is a reflection of hindsight and that for every mischance in an accident prone world someone solvent must be liable in damages.”

In the light of the above quotation, explain the way in which judges have used the concept of duty of care to limit liability “for every mischance in an accident prone world.”

Your answer should refer to case law and examine the way in which judges have approached the question of whether a duty of care should exist.
You must select two (and no more) of the following areas of English law on which to base your answer.

i) Duty for omissions
ii) Duty for the wrongs of third parties
iii) Duty for words
iv) Duty for nervous shock
v) Duty for pure economic loss
vi) Duty owed by the police and emergency services
lovegossip99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
??
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Read the sticky: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4142373

tl;dr version of it is: we are not gonna do your work for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (783)
42.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads