Why can't i stay focused? Watch

dantnl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm in my year 2 doing Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My A2 exams are coming up next week but I can't stay focused. I was doing fine until now. I don't know what to do since I've been trying to do past papers but my brain isn't working. What should I do?
Birmingham City University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi dantnl,

Don't worry if you're struggling to focus, it happens to all of us at some point. Try not to dwell on it as it will become a vicious circle of worry and distraction. There's a few things you could try to help you try and find focus again.

If you're finding the past papers aren't working for you at the minute, why not mix it up. Swap to a different revision technique to give your brain something new to engage with. You can always use the questions in a past paper to help you direct this revision but don't fixate solely on the paper if you're not achieving what you want.

There's another point. Have you set yourself goals? Sometimes it can be really hard to focus without one. I know there's the obvious goal of the exams, but set yourself landmarks within that, such as "today I'm going to complete x y and z by 4pm and then I can relax for two hours. Then have another hour focused on revision before bed." You don't need to have a full blown timetable if that doesn't suit you, but achievable things each day can be really useful to stay on track.

If you find you're getting distracted by your phone why not use an app to help you focus, such as Forest or ditch it completely. Give it to a family member or lock it away if you know you can't resist scrolling through it.

I hope that helps a little bit and you can get your focus back! Good luck with your exams.

Soph
Helo1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! I have the same problem. I get distracted easily and can’t really stay that focused. Anyway what I usually do (to actually stay a bit more focused) is to rather than staying at home, I’ll go studying at the library or at school if possible. It’s way easier to study then because I don’t have all this ‘freedom’ to do other things like singing, dancing.. Sure I still lose concentration at school but it’s not as frequent. You have to make a goal so you don’t forget what to do or at least set up a plan (don’t spend all your time on this tho).. put your phone away, use the forest app.. if possible use it on your laptop as well. Eh if non of these works, I myself usually ask my teacher or something to help me get started and sort out what to do because then it’s easier to keep going on my own, if I still struggle I’ll ask them again gah. Or someone else idk. Usually if I get just a bit help from someone, and a start I can be almost obsessed and write in a rush huh and then at least I have something written down..but yeah I feel you it’s really annoying! Btw I also find coffee to calm me down, I’m not sure if this works for everyone but yeah it makes me tired but at least I don’t feel like doing everything at once. You can also try watching some videos of the topic, or you can listen to music that actually helps you (for me classical music helps, sometimes others but It really depends) also don’t forget to take breaks, not too often, but like walking around getting some fresh air and also eat properly.. and sleep enough, and water (the basics), Hope this helps! Good luck tho! I’m sure you’ll find a way that works for you🌈
dantnl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much!!! I've felt a bit less stressed tbh and I think my revision is going back on track!
(Original post by Helo1000)
Hey! I have the same problem. I get distracted easily and can’t really stay that focused. Anyway what I usually do (to actually stay a bit more focused) is to rather than staying at home, I’ll go studying at the library or at school if possible. It’s way easier to study then because I don’t have all this ‘freedom’ to do other things like singing, dancing.. Sure I still lose concentration at school but it’s not as frequent. You have to make a goal so you don’t forget what to do or at least set up a plan (don’t spend all your time on this tho).. put your phone away, use the forest app.. if possible use it on your laptop as well. Eh if non of these works, I myself usually ask my teacher or something to help me get started and sort out what to do because then it’s easier to keep going on my own, if I still struggle I’ll ask them again gah. Or someone else idk. Usually if I get just a bit help from someone, and a start I can be almost obsessed and write in a rush huh and then at least I have something written down..but yeah I feel you it’s really annoying! Btw I also find coffee to calm me down, I’m not sure if this works for everyone but yeah it makes me tired but at least I don’t feel like doing everything at once. You can also try watching some videos of the topic, or you can listen to music that actually helps you (for me classical music helps, sometimes others but It really depends) also don’t forget to take breaks, not too often, but like walking around getting some fresh air and also eat properly.. and sleep enough, and water (the basics), Hope this helps! Good luck tho! I’m sure you’ll find a way that works for you🌈
(Original post by Birmingham City University)
Hi dantnl,

Don't worry if you're struggling to focus, it happens to all of us at some point. Try not to dwell on it as it will become a vicious circle of worry and distraction. There's a few things you could try to help you try and find focus again.

If you're finding the past papers aren't working for you at the minute, why not mix it up. Swap to a different revision technique to give your brain something new to engage with. You can always use the questions in a past paper to help you direct this revision but don't fixate solely on the paper if you're not achieving what you want.

There's another point. Have you set yourself goals? Sometimes it can be really hard to focus without one. I know there's the obvious goal of the exams, but set yourself landmarks within that, such as "today I'm going to complete x y and z by 4pm and then I can relax for two hours. Then have another hour focused on revision before bed." You don't need to have a full blown timetable if that doesn't suit you, but achievable things each day can be really useful to stay on track.

If you find you're getting distracted by your phone why not use an app to help you focus, such as Forest or ditch it completely. Give it to a family member or lock it away if you know you can't resist scrolling through it.

I hope that helps a little bit and you can get your focus back! Good luck with your exams.

Soph
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads