The Student Room Group

Is this plagiarism???

For English Language GCSE Paper 1 Question 5, if I wrote about a story that was similar to a film/show I've seen but obviously changing a few details of my own.

Take the film "IT" for example, if I based my story on that would the examiners see it as plagiarism?
Reply 1
someone please answer i really want to know if this is allowed or not

thanks
Reply 2
Hm. Yes, I think this would count as plagiarism. Something as well known as 'It' has quite a definite narrative. However, I doubt you'd be able to get much of it into your short exam response. I remember a similar situation a few (more than a few) years ago when a student of mine submitted a piece of original writing coursework that was based around the plot of 'Gothika'. It was just too obvious and the fluency of the narrative was affected. I think it's best to go with your own ideas. You'll feel better for it. Even if the connections to the original are tenuous, you still run the risk of raising concern with your examiner.

The most amusing occasion I've managed that I've been reminded of here was when a student submitted 'The Little Match Girl' by Hans Christian Anderson, directly copied and pasted from the internet in full and florid Victorian prose. They had the audacity to claim it as their own work until I brought the whole thing, and YouTube video, up on the whiteboard. Very entertaining.

The writing examination is for you to show your skills and your creativity. Every text is influenced by something else, sure, but don't make it too derivative. That's my advice.
Reply 3
Ah I get what you're saying thanks. So I guess it would be fine if I just improvised a few ideas here and there from a show without making it obvious, but I shouldn't take the almost exact plot as that'd be too blunt?
Original post by Davy611
Hm. Yes, I think this would count as plagiarism. Something as well known as 'It' has quite a definite narrative. However, I doubt you'd be able to get much of it into your short exam response. I remember a similar situation a few (more than a few) years ago when a student of mine submitted a piece of original writing coursework that was based around the plot of 'Gothika'. It was just too obvious and the fluency of the narrative was affected. I think it's best to go with your own ideas. You'll feel better for it. Even if the connections to the original are tenuous, you still run the risk of raising concern with your examiner.

The most amusing occasion I've managed that I've been reminded of here was when a student submitted 'The Little Match Girl' by Hans Christian Anderson, directly copied and pasted from the internet in full and florid Victorian prose. They had the audacity to claim it as their own work until I brought the whole thing, and YouTube video, up on the whiteboard. Very entertaining.

The writing examination is for you to show your skills and your creativity. Every text is influenced by something else, sure, but don't make it too derivative. That's my advice.
Reply 4
Yes, exactly. After all, there are lots of similarities between say 'Alice in Wonderland', the Narnia books and then 'Coraline' but they're all very different stories.
Reply 5
Ah okay I understand now thanks a lot.
Original post by Davy611
Yes, exactly. After all, there are lots of similarities between say 'Alice in Wonderland', the Narnia books and then 'Coraline' but they're all very different stories.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending