What's the difference between the logical aspects of evil and evidential? A-level rs

Watch
hira.naz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Having a bit of a panic because I've looked at the specification and one of the discussion points is:

which of the logical or evidential aspects of the problem of evil pose the greater challenge to belief

I thought they were pretty much the same thing and google is 0 help

If anyone could help me out that would be very much appreciated
gabicgai
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
logical: the literal, logical difficulties with the problem of evil. so, for example J.L Mackie's inconsistent triad, the Epicurean paradox. basically how it can be possible that God has certain attributes (omnipotence, omnibenevolence, omniscience) and yet evil exists. It does not make logical sense.

evidential: the evidence of evil in our world. J.S Mill is a good example because he talks about how things humans are "hanged and imprisoned for doing to one another are part of nature's everyday performances." Another good one is Fyodor Dostoevsky's novel The Brothers Karamazov, where Ivan says all the evidence of evil in the world he can see (so like children suffering) leads him to question whether God is worth worshipping.
If you have the textbook, there are sections in the problem of evil chapter on the logical and evidential problem of evil
hira.naz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thank you thank youuuuuu, you're a star
(Original post by gabicgai)
logical: the literal, logical difficulties with the problem of evil. so, for example J.L Mackie's inconsistent triad, the Epicurean paradox. basically how it can be possible that God has certain attributes (omnipotence, omnibenevolence, omniscience) and yet evil exists. It does not make logical sense.

evidential: the evidence of evil in our world. J.S Mill is a good example because he talks about how things humans are "hanged and imprisoned for doing to one another are part of nature's everyday performances." Another good one is Fyodor Dostoevsky's novel The Brothers Karamazov, where Ivan says all the evidence of evil in the world he can see (so like children suffering) leads him to question whether God is worth worshipping.
If you have the textbook, there are sections in the problem of evil chapter on the logical and evidential problem of evil
gabicgai
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no problem at all!!
(Original post by hira.naz)
thank you thank youuuuuu, you're a star
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (9)
29.03%
Less motivated (22)
70.97%

Watched Threads