The Student Room Group

Machine Operator job at a Morrisons factory. What is pay for over-time?

I've been offered a job as a Machine Operator at a Morrison's factory. My hours are 4pm till midnight, 8 hour shift with a possible 2 hour overtime regularly and very very rarely 4 hour overtime so I can on some days start at 4pm and finish 4am.

My question is I know I'm getting paid £8.54 per hour for the 8 hours I do but what about the overtime? Over-time is also at night because it starts at midnight so do I get some kind of night pay?
Reply 1
bump
Original post by DarkSoulz
My question is I know I'm getting paid £8.54 per hour for the 8 hours I do but what about the overtime? Over-time is also at night because it starts at midnight so do I get some kind of night pay?

Look in your handbook.

In UK law there isn't a rigidly defined concept of nightwork. Recently supermarkets have been cutting back on night pay e.g. Sainsbury's totally revamped theirs a year ago to make it 12am-5am. Tescos axed premium before midnight IIRC and Asda made some kind of change.

I would personally skip the 4 hour overtime. It's very bad for your health.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply.

I have not been given a handbook yet because I haven't started working yet. I was given the job offer last week and when I accepted they told me induction starts on the 24th of this month. Maybe I'll get the handbook then as-well as other benefits such as the Morrisons employees discount card, keys to my personal locker at the warehouse and so on.

Also from what I know you can't skip the over-time. The over-time is kinda forced on you. Like I said before I know for certain that 4 hours over-time is very rare up-to 2 hours is common though.
Original post by DarkSoulz
Thanks for the reply.

I have not been given a handbook yet because I haven't started working yet. I was given the job offer last week and when I accepted they told me induction starts on the 24th of this month. Maybe I'll get the handbook then as-well as other benefits such as the Morrisons employees discount card, keys to my personal locker at the warehouse and so on.

Also from what I know you can't skip the over-time. The over-time is kinda forced on you. Like I said before I know for certain that 4 hours over-time is very rare up-to 2 hours is common though.

If you get a handbook look in there. If it doesnt say anything, either ask the manager or another member of staff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending