Do you NEED Further Maths to go to Oxbridge for Mathematical degrees? Watch

mvphoebe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have already read the website and I know they say it isn't required but I want to do whether it actually affects you chances. I want read Physics and obviously would be self-teaching myself further maths topics before the PAT but do you think it matters whether you take the a-level or not? Shouldn't it matter on your mathematical ability rather than an a-level? My school does have further maths but I realised too late...
CoONA
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mvphoebe)
I have already read the website and I know they say it isn't required but I want to do whether it actually affects you chances. I want read Physics and obviously would be self-teaching myself further maths topics before the PAT but do you think it matters whether you take the a-level or not? Shouldn't it matter on your mathematical ability rather than an a-level? My school does have further maths but I realised too late...
The only reason Oxford doesn't ask for further maths is because universities aren't allowed to, as not all schools offer further maths. However, further maths massively supports to university content.

They also have the MAT tests which is crucial if you're not doing further maths.
mvphoebe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CoONA)
The only reason Oxford doesn't ask for further maths is because universities aren't allowed to, as not all schools offer further maths. However, further maths massively supports to university content.
They also have the MAT tests which is crucial if you're not doing further maths.
Thanks for the reply. Yea I undestand that for Maths its 100% needed but for Physics I just didn't know. I might do an AS in Further Maths then if my chances are super slim
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish