The Student Room Group

Official Love Island Thread 2019

I know I am early but I am so excited for this year and I really enjoyed last year's discussions so here we are :biggrin:

The decorated villa and contestants look fabulous! I'm not sure if this year will be better than last year but I am hoping that they will surprise us :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Love Island is one of the worst popular TV programs ever made.

Firstly, the name "love" island is a complete joke as it's obviously only about lust: contestants are selected and pick their partners based on looks.

Secondly, in an age where we are trying to move away from objectifying women, people seem to be enjoying this exploitation just because they want to see sexy bodies on TV. This will only exacerbate not only the body image issues faced by many young girls and women, but also the same issues faced by young boys and men. It's a strange hipocrisy that the some of the same people who seem to be focusing on "body positivity" at the same time effectively support reinforcing the idea that you have to be skinny-thicc or muscular (or even white) to be attractive.

Thirdly, the contestants are treated horribly, with very little regard for mental health; some contestants have even described it as like being in a prison, with every move, every conversation, controlled by the producers. Two people have already commited suicide after being on the show. Coincidence? I think anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that this show had something to do with it. It exploits peoples naivety and ignorance for money. When a TV program is literally killing people, I think it's time to stop.

In conclusion, Love Island should be taken off our TV screens.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MoLeicester
Love Island is one of the worst popular TV programs ever made.

Firstly, the name "love" island is a complete joke as it's obviously only about lust: contestants are selected and pick their partners based on looks.

Secondly, in an age where we are trying to move away from objectifying women, people seem to be enjoying this exploitation just because they want to see sexy bodies on TV. This will only exacerbate not only the body image issues faced by many young girls and women, but also the same issues faced by young boys and men. It's a strange hypocrisy that the some of the same people who seem to be focusing on "body positivity" at the same time effectively support reinforcing the idea that you have to be skinny-thicc or muscular (or even white) to be attractive.

Thirdly, the contestants are treated horribly, with very little regard for mental health; some contestants have even described it as like being in a prison, with every move, every conversation, controlled by the producers. Two people have already committed suicide after being on the show. Coincidence? I think anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that this show had something to do with it. It exploits peoples naivety and ignorance for money. When a TV program is literally killing people, I think it's time to stop.

In conclusion, Love Island should be taken off our TV screens.

I wouldn't say it's "one of the worst popular TV programs ever made" because I feel like that's a bit of a reach.

Personally I believe you are entitled to your own judgement. I do agree with some of the points that you've made about objectification and mental health. But I think tv shows are just tv shows and people shouldn't watch them expecting to see honest depictions. Most of the action that unfolds is staged anyway. I'm unbothered about diversity because it's an entertainment show.

I've made this thread to discuss the entertainment. I'm not going to pretend to be some morally superior person and this isn't something I would like to debate about (there are plenty of threads on this subject and plenty of users seem to dislike the show, even though the ratings last year were quite high). This is my guilty pleasure, a fresh break from political events and it's a way for me to relax, and so I will be watching Love Island this year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Nah, I'm going to wait until after when they're all on "celebs go dating" because that seems to be the natural progression of the contestants
Original post by rubyft123
Nah, I'm going to wait until after when they're all on "celebs go dating" because that seems to be the natural progression of the contestants

yes I haven't actually read through the article I just skimmed. I would prefer to watch their introductions as well :smile:
here we go :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by PureHeroine
here we go :smile:

:gah:
Finding the girls particularly annoying this year. Especially Anna.
Everyone is so sciencey this year which is interesting. Also Anton is getting so much hate already because of some things that have surfaced on social media.
Original post by Precious Illusions

I'm not really a fan of any of the contestants tbh. But I agree about Anna :yep:
Reaaaallly not a fan of Anton. :colonhash:
Original post by PureHeroine
Everyone is so sciencey this year which is interesting. Also Anton is getting so much hate already because of some things that have surfaced on social media.

I'm not really a fan of any of the contestants tbh. But I agree about Anna :yep:

Some people take it too far. He's coming off a bit scummy sure but no need to hate on him. IT is just the first day, he could have went about it better but no problem mingling imo.
Anna is by far the most annoying girl so far for me. Only 1 day in so let's see I guess. Also Lucie is definitely going for the boxer...
Reply 13
Original post by Precious Illusions

Why does every one find her annoying already ? I knew I should have watched the first episode.
Reply 14
I can’t even lie to you I didn’t even watch the first ep but I feel like sherif will be the first to go home.
Original post by Sjjdjs
Why does every one find her annoying already ? I knew I should have watched the first episode.

Imo she just seems so immature. She's 28 but constantly going on about how she's 'insta famous' and always out partying. And didn't step forward for any of the guys, kept going on about how she's too tall for any of them even though most of them were taller than her even in her heels.
Reply 16
Let the grafting begin!
Share your views on contestants, drama and all the juicy gossip.

Aha who are your favourites??
it is what it is
Lucie and Joe look like a strong couple

and as for Anton he can go get lost
Reply 19
it is what it is
Original post by offwhite_crepes
Lucie and Joe look like a strong couple

and as for Anton he can go get lost

Quick Reply

Latest