The Student Room Group

HELP! Should I do physiotherapy at uni?

So, I study English Language, History and Btec sport at A level and was wondering as to what grades I would need to be able to do Physiotherapy at university. Also I'm struggling to decide on which Unis offer the best learning. Is physiotherapy worth it after degree level and how much would you expect to make after uni. Thanks in advance!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Also, what other subjects would I be able to do at uni with the current subjects I'm studying?
Original post by SAMFIELD
So, I study English Language, History and Btec sport at A level and was wondering as to what grades I would need to be able to do Physiotherapy at university. Also I'm struggling to decide on which Unis offer the best learning. Is physiotherapy worth it after degree level and how much would you expect to make after uni. Thanks in advance!
Also, what other subjects would I be able to do at uni with the current subjects I'm studying?

I should think the best thing to do is check the entrance requirements for all the courses that you are thinking of doing. Not within the realms of anyone on here's ability to make a list of the hundreds of different uni courses you could study. Without doing too much research on specific physio courses, I would imagine that you will need to do an access to healthcare / sciences course or equivalent such as taking biology and chemistry A levels to an A grade. You won't meet the entrance requirements for any physio course with the subjects you are taking.

As for which uni - all have to bring you to by and large the same level, so the difference in learning between courses will be minimal. Some will structure their semesters a bit differently - i.e. no placements in first year, lots of placements over the summer holidays etc etc, so you will need to do some reading around / mailing of individual unis.

Is physio worth it? Very much so from my experience. I have loved what I have done over the years, and as I've worked my way up the bandings, have enjoyed the new challenges I've had such as service setup and design, recruitment etc. Basic pay rates can be found by using the calculator here - you start at Band 5:

https://www.nhspay.org/pay-calculator

You can then add on 5% of basic pay for fringe, 15% for outer London (max of 4.5k ish extra) and 20% for inner London (max of 6.5k ish extra). A new graduate physio in London will start on about £28.5k, and through working weekends / on calls could probably earn about another 2 - 4 grand depending on how many extra shifts they took on.

From an employment point of view, we need you. I have adverts for B5/6 physios and OT's out monthly in my large London trust. Employment prospects are great and the NHS is a fantastic employer.
My sister does Physiotherapy and she absolutely loves it, however for many universities you need a science based subject with a preference based on Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending