Could I possibly go to uni and still play semi pro football?

Watch
SAMFIELD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have always wanted to play football at the highest level but because I am planning to go to uni (Currently in Yr 12) I wanted to know whether it is possible to play football for a semi professional football team at a good level where I could get paid as well as studying or would I be limited to only playing for Uni teams and Sunday league teams? If anyone has answers please get in touch ☺
SAMFIELD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone?
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course it's possible
OfficialMubarak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey SAMFIELD,

I'm in the same situation as yourself. If you want to play football at the highest level possible and you also want to go to university you're just going to have to make it work somehow. In my case, I am looking to shape my life around my football career and that includes university. I'm currently looking for semi-professional teams that are relatively close enough to the cities I might end up studying in which include the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, and Nottingham. Traveling to training and games can be very time consuming but if you schedule your time efficiently enough you will be able to have a great balance between university and your football and even your social life. I would preferably like to play for a team that is no more than two hours away from my university's campus. via public transport. Now you might not be involved in uni life as much as the other students but that's what comes with trying to become a professional footballer. You're going to put a lot of thought into this and yourself what your priorities are. If you feel like you could cope with the workload from university and still play football to the highest of your standards then I say go for it but you need to sure. You don't want to waste your time and your money on university if you don't think you can do it. I'm not trying to scare you. It is what it is. I'm sure there's plenty of students who are going to uni and still playing semi-pro football. If they can do it I see no reason why you can't do it. If you need any more advice about this particular or about any other football situation feel free to hit me up and I'll try my best to respond to you as soon as possible.

Good luck SAMFIELD
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would be a good idea to ask your uni, I know there were some people in my class who were also semi pro at their sports and could reschedule certain things in order to participate in their sport, but I imagine it really depends on how much of a time commitment your work would be and balance that against your degree.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I realise the thread is 3 months old and therefore the advice is no longer that relevant, but a friend of mine while at uni played for a local League 2 team on a semi-pro basis. Worked out fine for him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (897)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads