The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Could someone give me more information about Minf in Edinburgh?

I am taking the offer, but there are so few unofficial comments that can be found on the website about this master program. What I am more interesting about is the comparison between Minf and other Master degree program hosted by school of informatics. Are there as much research opportunity as programs like MScR(informatics)?
Reply 1
The MInf is a 5-year undergraduate masters - it's the normal bachelor's with an extra year where you take masters level courses. You also do a 2-year long dissertation rather than a 1-year long one as in the BSc.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by trythis
The MInf is a 5-year undergraduate masters - it's the normal bachelor's with an extra year where you take masters level courses. You also do a 2-year long dissertation rather than a 1-year long one as in the BSc.

Thanks for your reply! But it seems that I can find these messages on the official website as well... Say, what do you think the graduates of Minf are more like, postgraduates who have got MScR(informatics), or graduates who just took more courses?
Reply 3
Original post by nizqleo
Thanks for your reply! But it seems that I can find these messages on the official website as well... Say, what do you think the graduates of Minf are more like, postgraduates who have got MScR(informatics), or graduates who just took more courses?

It's most similar to a taught postgraduate degree (PGT). There's not too much similarity to PGR degrees (eg. MScR) because PGR students spend almost all their time working on a research project. In the MInf you only spend 1/3 of your time on your research project. It's not a research-focussed degree.
Reply 4
Original post by trythis
It's most similar to a taught postgraduate degree (PGT). There's not too much similarity to PGR degrees (eg. MScR) because PGR students spend almost all their time working on a research project. In the MInf you only spend 1/3 of your time on your research project. It's not a research-focussed degree.

Well, that's exactly what I wanna know. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending