Got caught without insurance ! Watch

Aimee888
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I passed my test in March and got caught driving with no insurance in my mums car a few weeks ago, the police officer took all my details and came to the house but didn’t take my driving licence and I haven’t heard anything since about a fine or my license being revoked? How long does it take before you hear back?
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What happened when you got caught? The car should have been seized and you should've been banned from driving, however I'm not sure if this is done through a magistrates case or a NIP. (Could someone enlighten me lol)

Something sounds fishy about this
Last edited by xDron3; 2 months ago
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by xDron3)
What happened when you got caught? The car should have been seized and you should've been banned from driving, however I'm not sure if this is done through a magistrates case or a NIP. (Could someone enlighten me lol)

Presumably the car IS insured under mum's name, so I guess she could have gone and driven it home without it needing to be seized.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by julietlima3)
Presumably the car IS insured under mum's name, so I guess she could have gone and driven it home without it needing to be seized.
But she isn't insured on it, the police can't let a car drive off knowing it's uninsured
julietlima3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
But she isn't insured on it, the police can't let a car drive off knowing it's uninsured
OP never explicitly said what happened to the car immediately after. She did say the police went to her home. If I were to guess, he made her phone mum to come take her home, and went with them?
Aimee888
Rep:
?

Basically I got pulled over with a friend in the car and the officer got in the car and drove me home, she told my mum about what had happened then took a statement from me admitting that I did it she was really nice about it but didn’t take my driving license and I haven’t heard anything about it since I don’t know what this means.
julietlima3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'll be honest, I have no idea if police are allowed to do that.
Aimee888
Rep:
?
She said that I’d probably receive a fine and get my license revoked but I thought she might have taken my license if that was the case, but this was two weeks ago and I don’t know how long it takes for me to receive anything?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
julietlima3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aimee888)
She said that I’d probably receive a fine and get my license revoked but I thought she might have taken my license if that was the case, but this was two weeks ago and I don’t know how long it takes for me to receive anything?
I don't think she necessarily has the power to seize your licence. You will just have to wait for the Fixed Penalty Notice to arrive. On it you have the option to accept it, pay the fine and send away your licence (at which point it'll probably be revoked). Or you can reject the notice and take it to court (which, given you've already admitted guilt to the police officer, would not be a good idea). I don't think there's a time limit on when the fixed penalty notice can arrive. What some people confuse it with is the 14 day rule for the Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). This is sent when your car is caught speeding by a camera, and its purpose is to identify the driver at the time to which the fixed penalty notice will be served.

There's always a chance nothing will happen, since you said the officer was nice about it.
Last edited by julietlima3; 2 months ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's 6 points - yes, your licence will be revoked for this under the New Drivers Act. You will need to retake your theory and practical test.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You'll get a prosecution notice, whatever the acronym is for it or whatever it's called in legal terms. They don't just take your license from you on the spot (that's for the DVLA to do) they have to prosecute you first. 3 points you can get on the spot, 6 (the penalty for no insurance) is prosecution territory, so you won't get those straight away, but yeah you'll likely be losing you license within the next 2 weeks.

Still better off than if you hit someone though.
Last edited by nevershear; 2 months ago
Aimee888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It’s been 11 weeks now and I still haven’t heard anything what does this mean??
julietlima3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think there's a time limit for the FPN to arrive, but there's a good chance you're in the clear.
Aimee888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is there anyway I can find out though?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is there anyway I can find out though?
Just wait for the summons to arrive.
Aimee888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 hours ago
I’ve been online and checked the status of my license today and it says it has no disqualifications or anything like that and says I have a full driving license, wouldn’t this have been changed by now?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
I’ve been online and checked the status of my license today and it says it has no disqualifications or anything like that and says I have a full driving license, wouldn’t this have been changed by now?
No.

Wait for the summons.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 35 minutes ago
It’s been 11 weeks now and I still haven’t heard anything what does this mean??
You might have been very lucky. But don't count your chickens just yet. If you are still clear in June 2020 then I think it'd be safe to assume you got away with this one.

Either way, please treat this as a huge lesson and from now on always drive with insurance plus an MOT for any car over 3 years old. And keep your tyres legal etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
17.53%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.95%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (41)
21.13%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (71)
36.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (8)
4.12%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise