Psychology course: Are the lessons in the morning or spread out during the day!?? Watch

Tita88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am considering to start psychology in September but I first need to know roughly at what time the lessons are. I live in Slough (40 min drive to Reading) and I have a 2 year old daughter. I found a nursery in Reading from 8.30 - 13.30, so while my daughter is in nursery I can come to uni. Can someone please tell me what schedule do you have during the day (when the classes start and finish?). Are the classes monitored in terms of attendance? What happens if I can't come 2 days at uni (if my daughter gets sick etc)? I called the uni but they are saying first to apply and then they will let me know, which is ridiculous!!

I am interested in Psychology or Psychology with Neuroscience.

I would be very grateful if someone from the courses above could tell me about their schedules. Thank you!
UniofReading
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I'm currently a student at the University of Reading and whilst I don't study psychology I hope I can help.

Timetabling for next year is unlikely to be released until September. However, lectures can be scheduled anytime between 9am-6pm Monday-Friday. The earliest you'll start is 9am, and the latest you'll finish is 6pm. Between 1pm-2pm there is usually nothing scheduled as this is taken as lunch, and Wednesday afternoon's are completely free for extra-curricular activities. You may have days full of lectures, and other days with only one. Furthermore, lectures will vary termly depending on the modules being studied that term.

Attendance is monitored, usually through sign-in sheets, however, lectures are non-compulsory and missing one is not that huge. Missing lots would however, get flagged to the department over time - in a supportive way so they can check on you and make sure you're doing OK.
Some timetabled sessions may be assessed, for example delivery of presentation, etc. Therefore, it would be important to try to attend these.
However, if you can't attend an assessed session, or you miss multiple lectures, due to circumstances outside your control, you can submit extenuating circumstance forms requesting the department take this into consideration during marking, or when meeting deadlines, etc. There is therefore, support without the department, and the student support centres for when life throws up situations that can impact your study.

Finally, if you miss a lecture, you will still be able to access the content through use of the online learning system Blackboard. Lecturers upload their slides and other resources for you to access throughout your course. This can be accessed from home.Therefore, it is possible to catch-up on anything you may miss. You can also email your lectures, or arrange to sit with them if there are topics or concepts you'd like extra support with.

I hope this helps a little,

Emma
(3rd Year Chemistry student and Student Ambassador)
Trustinpingu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I do psychology and have just finished my first year. Lectures are spread through out the day and actually we weren’t even required to sign into any lectures. However you need to the attend labs, workshops and tutorials as the attendance on these are tracked and sometimes give you credits towards the course. Admittedly I missed a few lectures (and caught up in my own time so didn’t find it a problem), but never the marked attendance sessions or ones that gave credits etc. It really depends as to when your workshops, tutorials and labs are assigned as even within the course you’re grouped into different time slots for these.

There’s no way of saying if it would fit with your schedule, but the university I have found, at least in my experience, has been flexible. Therefore you could potentially explain the situation with your child and be grouped into the sessions which fit in your schedule. Just a guess.
(Original post by Tita88)
I am considering to start psychology in September but I first need to know roughly at what time the lessons are. I live in Slough (40 min drive to Reading) and I have a 2 year old daughter. I found a nursery in Reading from 8.30 - 13.30, so while my daughter is in nursery I can come to uni. Can someone please tell me what schedule do you have during the day (when the classes start and finish?). Are the classes monitored in terms of attendance? What happens if I can't come 2 days at uni (if my daughter gets sick etc)? I called the uni but they are saying first to apply and then they will let me know, which is ridiculous!!

I am interested in Psychology or Psychology with Neuroscience.

I would be very grateful if someone from the courses above could tell me about their schedules. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Reading
    Master's Lunch Postgraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.21%
The paper was reasonable (1110)
55.17%
Not feeling great about that exam... (437)
21.72%
It was TERRIBLE (159)
7.9%

Watched Threads