The Student Room Group

Do you have questions about Christianity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JasmineNPH
Yes. One way to think of it is just whether that person understands that what they have done is wrong and not what God wants and that they must try to live a life according to Jesus' teachings.

so have you turned from all your sins?
Original post by Leviathan1611
so have you turned from all your sins?

Haha that's quite a personal question! I guess... Im not really sure but I hope so. whenever I have done something that I know is wrong I say sorry and try to make it right. Then again, some Christians will have different opinions to me on what counts as a sin.
Original post by Letmesleep
Thank you for the questions :smile:
It’s not often I get to talk to other Christians (outside of close family or church I mean) as basically none of my friends are Christians sadly

I also commend you on how much you know your Bible, sadly I’m not fully aware of where everything can be found, but I’m getting there (thanks to God asking for help!)

I use NCV (new century version) as both of my Bibles are in that - got them from primary school and junior church classes - they’re both children’s bibles which I’m not going to lie are very helpful because even though I’m 18 tomorrow I struggle with big words and everything haha

I also use NIV on my phone too
I’m presuming you use King James?

hehe, same, I don't really have any Christian friends either.

thanks, but it's really not much, just enough to give someone the gospel I guess. there's still a ton I don't know. I recommend just reading the bible cover to cover, that'll help.

I strongly recommend you use a King James Bible, reason being that there are many changes in these modern versions which is confusing people and doctrine, for a start, the modern versions are missing 15 verses from the new testament, for example, try finding acts 8:37 in your bible. if you want, I can pm you a documentary explaining this in more detail, hopefully it may persuade you to use the King James Bible:smile:
hehe, same, I don't really have any Christian friends either.

thanks, but it's really not much, just enough to give someone the gospel I guess. there's still a ton I don't know. I recommend just reading the bible cover to cover, that'll help.

I strongly recommend you use a King James Bible, reason being that there are many changes in these modern versions which is confusing people and doctrine, for a start, the modern versions are missing 15 verses from the new testament, for example, try finding acts 8:37 in your bible. if you want, I can pm you a documentary explaining this in more detail, hopefully it may persuade you to use the King James Bible:smile:

It really saddens me because I try to tell my friends about God, not as much as I really should, but they just laugh and think it’s stupid :/

You still know something which is better than nothing! I have nearly read all of the New Testament (and a few Old Testament books), just revelation left which is a bit daunting, but I need to read it as it’s about the last days and I believe we are in them

I think I can use king James on my phone too which is good, I also looked up that verse in my bible, and you are right it does have that verse missing, however this bible is good because it puts a note at the bottom of the page acknowledging that it’s not there but gives you what it would say if it wasn’t omitted
You can pm me the documentary, I can’t guarantee I’ll watch it straight away as I’m in the middle of exams but I’ll appreciate it either way
Haha that's quite a personal question! I guess... Im not really sure but I hope so. whenever I have done something that I know is wrong I say sorry and try to make it right. Then again, some Christians will have different opinions to me on what counts as a sin.

well, you said that in order to go to heaven, we should turn from all our sins, if you're not sure you've turned from all your sins, are you 100% sure you'd go to heaven when you die?

apologies, and apologies in advance if you find these questions to be personal:smile:
Original post by Archurus23
A catholic priest came up with the Big Bang theory and religious education does teach us to combine theological truths with scientific ones, so why are fundamentalist Christians still a thing?

I suppose some Christians find comfort in following teachings 'exactly' as they are written. However, as some mentioned before, I think it is important to look at the bible in context and think about how it relates to our modern day lives... Jesus tried to make his teachings relatable to his particular audience. Personally I find that fundamentalists are often contradictory, but I of course respect their opinions.
well, you said that in order to go to heaven, we should turn from all our sins, if you're not sure you've turned from all your sins, are you 100% sure you'd go to heaven when you die?

apologies, and apologies in advance if you find these questions to be personal:smile:

It's okay! And no, I don't think anyone can know if they are going to heaven. I think we can only live good lives and have faith.
(edited 4 years ago)
It really saddens me because I try to tell my friends about God, not as much as I really should, but they just laugh and think it’s stupid :/

You still know something which is better than nothing! I have nearly read all of the New Testament (and a few Old Testament books), just revelation left which is a bit daunting, but I need to read it as it’s about the last days and I believe we are in them

I think I can use king James on my phone too which is good, I also looked up that verse in my bible, and you are right it does have that verse missing, however this bible is good because it puts a note at the bottom of the page acknowledging that it’s not there but gives you what it would say if it wasn’t omitted
You can pm me the documentary, I can’t guarantee I’ll watch it straight away as I’m in the middle of exams but I’ll appreciate it either way

at least you're bold enough to tell them, I was struggling to just preach the gospel to my own mother, forgetting how to breath and everything, i'd be nice if I wasn't so nervous.

don't worry, I read revelation and it was amazing, it made me very grateful that I was saved, but also very excited (it'd be awesome if it happened in my lifetime, I'd be very grateful if it does). nothing to be scared about, it's very entertaining.

sure, i'll send it to you and you can watch it whenever you have the time:smile:
I suppose some Christians find comfort in following teachings 'exactly' as they are written. However, as some mentioned before, I think it is important to look at the bible in context and think about how it relates to our modern day lives... Jesus tried to make his teachings relatable to his particular audience. Personally I find that fundamentalists are often contradictory, but I of course respect their opinions.

Fair enough. Thank you.
It's okay! And no, I don't think anyone can know if they are going to heaven. I think we can only live good lives and have faith.

according to the bible, you can know you have eternal life

1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

if you want, I can pm you a video on how you can know you have eternal life, and I can answer any questions you have about it afterwards.:smile:
according to the bible, you can know you have eternal life

1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

if you want, I can pm you a video on how you can know you have eternal life, and I can answer any questions you have about it afterwards.:smile:

Hmm. Yes the bible does say that you can know that you can have eternal life. But that 'knowing' is surely just having complete faith in Jesus. This is probably hard to conceptualise. Anyways, I totally see where u are coming from, it's just my opinion that only God knows.
at least you're bold enough to tell them, I was struggling to just preach the gospel to my own mother, forgetting how to breath and everything, i'd be nice if I wasn't so nervous.

don't worry, I read revelation and it was amazing, it made me very grateful that I was saved, but also very excited (it'd be awesome if it happened in my lifetime, I'd be very grateful if it does). nothing to be scared about, it's very entertaining.

sure, i'll send it to you and you can watch it whenever you have the time:smile:

I’ll pray for you, that’ll God will give you the strength and courage to speak out about Him 😊 even if you plant the seed, God will do the rest

I’ve told my friends about the rapture, it was over text so it was a bit difficult, but one was intrigued and the other just blanked (and he’s been my friend since I was 4 so that really is heartbreaking) but I just pray god will open there eyes and hearts, if it’s His will. I really want to read Revelation, even though it is daunting. I think it just scares me because when I was younger I heard about the mark of the devil and everything and how Christians will be prosecuted in the end times and that really scared me, but I was only young then (probably about 10 years ago)
I also do believe it’ll happen in our lifetime, that’s why we need to be right with God

Thank you!
Hmm. Yes the bible does say that you can know that you can have eternal life. But that 'knowing' is surely just having complete faith in Jesus. This is probably hard to conceptualise. Anyways, I totally see where u are coming from, it's just my opinion that only God knows.

alright:smile: do you want me to pm you that video or nah?:biggrin:
I’ll pray for you, that’ll God will give you the strength and courage to speak out about Him 😊 even if you plant the seed, God will do the rest

I’ve told my friends about the rapture, it was over text so it was a bit difficult, but one was intrigued and the other just blanked (and he’s been my friend since I was 4 so that really is heartbreaking) but I just pray god will open there eyes and hearts, if it’s His will. I really want to read Revelation, even though it is daunting. I think it just scares me because when I was younger I heard about the mark of the devil and everything and how Christians will be prosecuted in the end times and that really scared me, but I was only young then (probably about 10 years ago)
I also do believe it’ll happen in our lifetime, that’s why we need to be right with God

Thank you!

thank you, greatly appreciate it.

I think a good way to get their attention is getting them first to realise they're a sinner deserving of hell, then they'd want to know how to be saved to escape that judgement. I notice that people aren't really interested because they don't realised the danger they're in, but once they realise, they usually want to know how to be saved. if you like, I can send you soulwinning demonstrations, that may help you.

ah I see, I don't think I even knew there was a book called revelations 10 years ago, had never picked up a bible back then (except maybe Genesis 1). I enjoyed reading Revelation, it reminds me a bit of avengers, but much better of course, so don't even nervous:smile:

that'd be exciting if it happens in our lifetime.
What do you think about people who pick and choose what is right and wrong from the bible? For example, people being so extremely for the death penalty for homosexuals as they beleive it's against the christian faith yet they eat pork or get remarried or succumb to gluttony or use condoms.
thank you, greatly appreciate it.

I think a good way to get their attention is getting them first to realise they're a sinner deserving of hell, then they'd want to know how to be saved to escape that judgement. I notice that people aren't really interested because they don't realised the danger they're in, but once they realise, they usually want to know how to be saved. if you like, I can send you soulwinning demonstrations, that may help you.

ah I see, I don't think I even knew there was a book called revelations 10 years ago, had never picked up a bible back then (except maybe Genesis 1). I enjoyed reading Revelation, it reminds me a bit of avengers, but much better of course, so don't even nervous:smile:

that'd be exciting if it happens in our lifetime.

No problem :smile:

What makes it harder is I’m not very close to them any longer, they’ve started going out getting drunk, and I wouldn’t because I don’t ever want to get drunk or even tipsy and those sort of environments do not appeal to me, and also they were all 18 which I haven’t been until right now lol. And they were mildly bullying me (not verbal or physical etc, but just blatantly ignoring me and not including me in things) but I think that was maybe God testing my patience. I talked about it to them and forgave them but since that we haven’t been as close sadly. But I just keep praying and when I’m more confident I try to talk to them about it

its good you’ve now seen God’s grace and you know know the truth!

Very exciting!

I better get some sleep now, have church in morning and need to rest, after a long day of doing nothing ahha!
Night!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MattyByTheSea
What do you think about people who pick and choose what is right and wrong from the bible? For example, people being so extremely for the death penalty for homosexuals as they beleive it's against the christian faith yet they eat pork or get remarried or succumb to gluttony or use condoms.

the new testament teaches it's fine to eat pork, so that's not picking and choosing, that's merely going with what the bible says.

yeah getting remarried is sin unless their spouse is dead, or their spouse is unsaved them they may remarry, but only a saved Christian. other than that, I'm against it.

gluttony is also sin, I don't overeat like Henry VIII, or those morbidly obese preachers

i'm against birth control, I will never use it.

you kinda generalised, but I don't blame you, there are many hypocrites among us unfortunately.
No problem :smile:

What makes it harder is I’m not very close to them any longer, they’ve started going out getting drunk, and I wouldn’t because I don’t ever want to get drunk or even tipsy and those sort of environments do not appeal to me, and also they were all 18 which I haven’t been until right now lol. And they were mildly bullying me (not verbal or physical etc, but just blatantly ignoring me and not including me in things) but I think that was maybe God testing my patience. I talked about it to them and forgave them but since that we haven’t been as close sadly. But I just keep praying and when I’m more confident I try to talk to them about it

its good you’ve now seen God’s grace and you know know the truth!

Very exciting!

I better get some sleep now, have church in morning and need to rest, after a long day of doing nothing ahha!
Night!

have a good sleep
have a good sleep

Thank you
Original post by MattyByTheSea

I am personally quite liberal, and for me the most important thing is to love God and love your neighbour. Therefore I do not judge people based on certain decisions. It does kind of annoy me how people pick and choose. Like surely jesus would never charge anyone with a death penalty or persecute someone based on who they love? As for condoms: they save people from deadly diseases such as HIV. In fact, the pope had to tell people that they could use them to protect themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending