The Student Room Group

any pakistanis to help?

hey, I'm female & born and brought up british and was just curious about these terms, as I'm not sure what they mean. 'mehr' 'sood' 'jahez' 'khula' Idk why they interest me i'd just like to expand my knowledge on my family background :smile:
Hi there from pakistan too, live in Uae

regarding your doubt or questions
I assumed that you are a Muslim sorry if you are not

mehr- It is a mandatory payment, in the form of money or possessions paid by the groom, to the bride at the time of marriage, that legally becomes her property.(this is an islamic term)

Sood- In english sood translated simply to interest . Its not allowed in islam(haram)

Jahez-The practice of giving dowry (jahez) is not part of Islam, although it is rampant in Pakistan. In fact, it is a practice which has never been endorsed by Islam and is not prevalent amongst Muslims of other cultures. It is an imitation of ancient Hindu culture in which daughters were not given any share in the family property, but were given payments, part of which might be in the form of goods, as a measure of compensation. Islam granted daughters a rightful share in their family property and inheritance.

Khulʿ, also called khula, is a procedure through which a woman can divorce her husband in Islam, by returning from the dower or something else that she received from her husband, as agreed by the spouses or Qadi’s decree.

Your doubts are more marriage related tbh , cheers
Reply 2
Original post by Haider.alix
Hi there from pakistan too, live in Uae

regarding your doubt or questions
I assumed that you are a Muslim sorry if you are not

mehr- It is a mandatory payment, in the form of money or possessions paid by the groom, to the bride at the time of marriage, that legally becomes her property.(this is an islamic term)

Sood- In english sood translated simply to interest . Its not allowed in islam(haram)

Jahez-The practice of giving dowry (jahez) is not part of Islam, although it is rampant in Pakistan. In fact, it is a practice which has never been endorsed by Islam and is not prevalent amongst Muslims of other cultures. It is an imitation of ancient Hindu culture in which daughters were not given any share in the family property, but were given payments, part of which might be in the form of goods, as a measure of compensation. Islam granted daughters a rightful share in their family property and inheritance.

Khulʿ, also called khula, is a procedure through which a woman can divorce her husband in Islam, by returning from the dower or something else that she received from her husband, as agreed by the spouses or Qadi’s decree.

Your doubts are more marriage related tbh , cheers

Thanks, I am muslim pakistani but have been brought up british so I just wanted to know a bit more, I hear these terms on tv and get confused 😂 also I was confused as I had some info on jahez but when I heard about mehr it confused me as I never knew the groom also gives goods/possessions
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, I am muslim pakistani but have been brought up british so I just wanted to know a bit more, I hear these terms on tv and get confused 😂 also I was confused as I had some info on jahez but when I heard about mehr it confused me as I never knew the groom also gives goods/possessions

groom has to give thats what islam is all about equality
any more lemme know
Reply 5
Original post by Haider.alix
any more lemme know

thx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending