any pakistanis to help?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey, I'm female & born and brought up british and was just curious about these terms, as I'm not sure what they mean. 'mehr' 'sood' 'jahez' 'khula' Idk why they interest me i'd just like to expand my knowledge on my family background
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there from pakistan too, live in Uae

regarding your doubt or questions
I assumed that you are a Muslim sorry if you are not

mehr- It is a mandatory payment, in the form of money or possessions paid by the groom, to the bride at the time of marriage, that legally becomes her property.(this is an islamic term)

Sood- In english sood translated simply to interest . Its not allowed in islam(haram)

Jahez-The practice of giving dowry (jahez) is not part of Islam, although it is rampant in Pakistan. In fact, it is a practice which has never been endorsed by Islam and is not prevalent amongst Muslims of other cultures. It is an imitation of ancient Hindu culture in which daughters were not given any share in the family property, but were given payments, part of which might be in the form of goods, as a measure of compensation. Islam granted daughters a rightful share in their family property and inheritance.

Khulʿ, also called khula, is a procedure through which a woman can divorce her husband in Islam, by returning from the dower or something else that she received from her husband, as agreed by the spouses or Qadi’s decree.

Your doubts are more marriage related tbh , cheers
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Haider.alix)
Hi there from pakistan too, live in Uae

regarding your doubt or questions
I assumed that you are a Muslim sorry if you are not

mehr- It is a mandatory payment, in the form of money or possessions paid by the groom, to the bride at the time of marriage, that legally becomes her property.(this is an islamic term)

Sood- In english sood translated simply to interest . Its not allowed in islam(haram)

Jahez-The practice of giving dowry (jahez) is not part of Islam, although it is rampant in Pakistan. In fact, it is a practice which has never been endorsed by Islam and is not prevalent amongst Muslims of other cultures. It is an imitation of ancient Hindu culture in which daughters were not given any share in the family property, but were given payments, part of which might be in the form of goods, as a measure of compensation. Islam granted daughters a rightful share in their family property and inheritance.

Khulʿ, also called khula, is a procedure through which a woman can divorce her husband in Islam, by returning from the dower or something else that she received from her husband, as agreed by the spouses or Qadi’s decree.

Your doubts are more marriage related tbh , cheers
Thanks, I am muslim pakistani but have been brought up british so I just wanted to know a bit more, I hear these terms on tv and get confused 😂 also I was confused as I had some info on jahez but when I heard about mehr it confused me as I never knew the groom also gives goods/possessions
Haider.alix
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks, I am muslim pakistani but have been brought up british so I just wanted to know a bit more, I hear these terms on tv and get confused 😂 also I was confused as I had some info on jahez but when I heard about mehr it confused me as I never knew the groom also gives goods/possessions
groom has to give thats what islam is all about equality
Haider.alix
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
any more lemme know
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Haider.alix)
any more lemme know
thx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (152)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (458)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (347)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (433)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.73%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6.05%
Loneliness (268)
8.62%
Financial worries (112)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (277)
8.91%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (292)
9.39%

Watched Threads