The equation is:
1⁄2 I2(s)  ----> I(g)

Why is 1⁄2 I2 solid and not gaseous?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because iodine is a solid at room temperature and the enthalpy changes are taken at 298K and 100KPa
LauraEddy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you! So, why does it become gaseous after the atomisation has taken place, do the conditions change during the reaction?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Because iodine is a solid at room temperature and the enthalpy changes are taken at 298K and 100KPa
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LauraEddy)
Thank you! So, why does it become gaseous after the atomisation has taken place, do the conditions change during the reaction?
I believe this is to do with the Maxwell-Boltzman distribution. For a given number of particles in 1/2 I2 (s), some particles will have enough activation energy so the reaction can occur. Enthalpy of atomisation is defined as the amount of energy required for a substance in standard conditions to form one mole of gaseous atoms. As all of the bonds are broken but none are formed, the value is always positive, so energy is required to be inputted into the system, which comes as heat.
LauraEddy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I believe this is to do with the Maxwell-Boltzman distribution. For a given number of particles in 1/2 I2 (s), some particles will have enough activation energy so the reaction can occur. Enthalpy of atomisation is defined as the amount of energy required for a substance in standard conditions to form one mole of gaseous atoms. As all of the bonds are broken but none are formed, the value is always positive, so energy is required to be inputted into the system, which comes as heat.
Thank you very much! That makes sense I really just need to get those definitions nailed down :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (396)
32.38%
No (827)
67.62%

Watched Threads