nmoir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It is obviously very close to my drama exam, I am unsure about how you structure all the essays to make sure I keep to timings and don't get side tracked. I would reallyyyy appreciate some help!! I'm doing Equus for section B and Antigone for section C (edexcel). Any tips??
taliazachar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I'm doing the same exam board but I'm doing Accidental Death of an Anarchist for section B and Lysistrata with Brecht for section C. Timing wise, I'm planning on 40 mins for A, 60 mins (30 and 30) for section B, and 50 mins for section C. I find the timings really hard for this exam though as there isn't much reading or thinking time!

Basically for section B I find I get 17 or 18 marks if I get through a lot of quotes for the performer (verbal and non verbal communication) questions, or I split up each quote and say exactly what I would do for each bit of the quote. Also on section B cover the important bits of the extract, if you've missed an obvious bit of the scene that's really funny or emotional the examiner will mark you down. Structure wise I'd do an introduction (stating a sentence about the play, the style in which its performed, the writer's intentions, your intentions as an actor/designer for the whole play, your intentions for the extract) then three paragraphs on the beginning, middle, and end. I wouldn't bother with a conclusion as you've only got half an hour on each question in section B.

For section C I get 19 or 20 marks if I constantly justify everything with my practitioner and original performance conditions. Don't make any point without justifying why you're doing it and the message you want to portray to a modern audience. In the intro (I would memorise a standard intro that works for all essays if I were you saves a lot of time!) make sure you say your choice of stage, your concept, your intentions, your practitioner's influence and the influence of the original performance conditions, as well as the playwright's message. Constantly refer back to the element from the question and the impact it has on your modern audience. Cover the beginning, middle, and end of the extract with a short conclusion to state your intentions and message again. Also include reference to another moment in the play and your idea for that moment. Section C is really hard in terms of timing because you have to get so much into each paragraph, but just create a mental checklist of the things you have to include and don't spend ages explaining your idea for every moment. Just get the basic idea down, justify with practitioner, then compare your idea to the original performance, and mention the message you want to convey. Three really detailed paragraphs is all you need to get good marks in this section.

Hope this helps, just make sure you don't spend too long on the first sections, some people choose to start with section C and then do the other sections to make sure they're happy with their section C. Good luck!!
nmoir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Wow, thank you so so much - this is so helpful! Good luck with the exam on Friday!
(Original post by apricotnatalia)
Hi! I'm doing the same exam board but I'm doing Accidental Death of an Anarchist for section B and Lysistrata with Brecht for section C. Timing wise, I'm planning on 40 mins for A, 60 mins (30 and 30) for section B, and 50 mins for section C. I find the timings really hard for this exam though as there isn't much reading or thinking time!

Basically for section B I find I get 17 or 18 marks if I get through a lot of quotes for the performer (verbal and non verbal communication) questions, or I split up each quote and say exactly what I would do for each bit of the quote. Also on section B cover the important bits of the extract, if you've missed an obvious bit of the scene that's really funny or emotional the examiner will mark you down. Structure wise I'd do an introduction (stating a sentence about the play, the style in which its performed, the writer's intentions, your intentions as an actor/designer for the whole play, your intentions for the extract) then three paragraphs on the beginning, middle, and end. I wouldn't bother with a conclusion as you've only got half an hour on each question in section B.

For section C I get 19 or 20 marks if I constantly justify everything with my practitioner and original performance conditions. Don't make any point without justifying why you're doing it and the message you want to portray to a modern audience. In the intro (I would memorise a standard intro that works for all essays if I were you saves a lot of time!) make sure you say your choice of stage, your concept, your intentions, your practitioner's influence and the influence of the original performance conditions, as well as the playwright's message. Constantly refer back to the element from the question and the impact it has on your modern audience. Cover the beginning, middle, and end of the extract with a short conclusion to state your intentions and message again. Also include reference to another moment in the play and your idea for that moment. Section C is really hard in terms of timing because you have to get so much into each paragraph, but just create a mental checklist of the things you have to include and don't spend ages explaining your idea for every moment. Just get the basic idea down, justify with practitioner, then compare your idea to the original performance, and mention the message you want to convey. Three really detailed paragraphs is all you need to get good marks in this section.

Hope this helps, just make sure you don't spend too long on the first sections, some people choose to start with section C and then do the other sections to make sure they're happy with their section C. Good luck!!
taliazachar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nmoir)
Wow, thank you so so much - this is so helpful! Good luck with the exam on Friday!
You are very welcome! Oh my god... Friday, it didn't seem that close but I guess it is! :eek: Good luck to you too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (174)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (583)
48.66%

Watched Threads