Charlieloo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is anyone else annoyed about the introduction of the geography admissions test??? Why are we the first year to have to do this? Another hurdle to get through
S1G
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, it is quite challenging. Does anyone know what kind of preparation can be done?
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You had to do the TSA before, only 2 or 3 years ago, and a long time ago I sat three, three hour long exams to get in - Human Geography, Physical Geography and the Oxford General Paper. I wouldn’t complain.
Hugh's Swan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S1G)
Yes, it is quite challenging. Does anyone know what kind of preparation can be done?
There are two sample papers on the website, if you want a challenge then just do the questions first without looking at the sample answers and see where you get. Then set up some more examples for yourself by looking at any geographical articles e.g. in geography magazines you may have at school and then ask similar questions. Try to practice how to interpret graphs, tables and data and write commentaries on it.
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Charlieloo)
Is anyone else annoyed about the introduction of the geography admissions test??? Why are we the first year to have to do this? Another hurdle to get through
Hola Charlieloo,

The test has been piloted and its introduction is in the interest of applicants since the results of the pilot indicate that it has predictive validity: applicants with higher scores are more likely to be successful gaining an offer and more likely to perform well on course if admitted.

Brasenose Admissions
S1G
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Hugh's Swan)
There are two sample papers on the website, if you want a challenge then just do the questions first without looking at the sample answers and see where you get. Then set up some more examples for yourself by looking at any geographical articles e.g. in geography magazines you may have at school and then ask similar questions. Try to practice how to interpret graphs, tables and data and write commentaries on it.
Thank you, that is good advice
S1G
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola Charlieloo,

The test has been piloted and its introduction is in the interest of applicants since the results of the pilot indicate that it has predictive validity: applicants with higher scores are more likely to be successful gaining an offer and more likely to perform well on course if admitted.

Brasenose Admissions
Thank you for your reply. Is there any other type of preparation that is recommended? I have been reading books and journals, recapping data analysis and considering current events form a geographical perspective. Please advise is there is anything else which would be beneficial. Thank you
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S1G)
Thank you for your reply. Is there any other type of preparation that is recommended? I have been reading books and journals, recapping data analysis and considering current events form a geographical perspective. Please advise is there is anything else which would be beneficial. Thank you
We think that Hugh's Swan has provided good advice that you seem to be following.
Last edited by BrasenoseAdm; 3 weeks ago
S1G
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
We think that S1G has provided good advice that you seem to be following.
That's good, is there any thing else which is advisable please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads