Labour suspends senior official Pete Willsman over taped anti-Semitic comments Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Labour has suspended a senior official after a tape emerged of him claiming anti-Semitism has been “whipped up” by the Israeli embassy working within the party.

The move to suspend Pete Willsman, who sits on Labour’s National Executive Committee (NEC), has been demanded by Labour deputy leader Tom Watson.

Before the suspension was announced, Mr Watson said: “The fact that a member of Labour’s governing body feels he can continue to make such offensive remarks after being warned for similar outbursts previously shows how serious the problem of anti-Semitism is in our party.

In the tape, Willsman is heard as stating: “One of these things about anti-Semitism is they will use anything to whip people up – they will use anything, any lies, it’s all total lies, they just whip it up.

“This is off the record, it’s almost certain who is behind all this anti-Semitism against Jeremy (Corbyn), almost certainly it’s the Israeli embassy.

“Yeah, because they caught somebody in the Labour Party and it turns out they were an agent of the embassy.”

Mr Willsman then apparently claims that 68 rabbis who complained of “widespread and severe” anti-Semitism in Labour were organised by the Israeli embassy.

Labour MPs, including Stella Creasy, condemned the remarks and said Mr Willsman should go.

She tweeted: “Anyone who supported Willsman for the NEC after the first revelations needs to hang their head in shame they indulged this hatred *eyeballs WF momentum*

“He must now surely be gone from labour and we have to have an independent complaints system now.”

Labour MP Liz Kendall said Mr Willsman’s alleged views have “no place in our party”.

She tweeted: “Appalling and totally unacceptable. These views have no place in our party, let alone on our ruling body.”

Jewish groups joined forces to call for the expulsion of Mr Willsman for the “anti-Semitic slur” in a letter signed by the Board of Deputies of British Jews, the Jewish Leadership Council and the Community Security Trust.

“It is racist by any measure,” they said.

“It is also, ironically, one of the behaviours described as anti-Semitic in the definition of anti-Semitism that Labour’s leadership very grudgingly adopted last year, but have still failed to include anywhere on the Party’s website.”

“Pete Willsman must be immediately dismissed from Labour’s National Executive Committee and expelled from the Labour Party.”

Fiona Sharpe, spokeswoman for Labour Against Anti-Semitism, said the alleged comments were “grossly offensive and unarguably anti-Semitic”.

She added: “There should be no place for him in mainstream British politics and he should be kicked off Labour’s ruling body, the NEC, and out of the Labour Party.

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/n...tism-comments/
Laurence010401
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was relieved to hear today that the Labour Party is finally getting a ****ing grip
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You reckon?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m curious; irrespective of this persons intentions behind the remark is it now a crime to ever point out the crimes of Israel?
Ambassadorial staff from numerous countries her stirred up trouble in other countries before ... the British, Americans, French, Iranians, Iraqis, North Koreans etc. why on earth would anyone think the Israelis are above that? Especially given their history of such things.
Again this is no particular comment on Israel per-se more on the lunacy of putting them on some pedestal of propriety they manifestly don’t belong on.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
I’m curious; irrespective of this persons intentions behind the remark is it now a crime to ever point out the crimes of Israel?
Ambassadorial staff from numerous countries her stirred up trouble in other countries before ... the British, Americans, French, Iranians, Iraqis, North Koreans etc. why on earth would anyone think the Israelis are above that? Especially given their history of such things.
Again this is no particular comment on Israel per-se more on the lunacy of putting them on some pedestal of propriety they manifestly don’t belong on.
Willsman has been around Labour for 40+ years. Mainstream Labour figures knew he was an anti-Semite. They are just needing to get some incriminating evidence on him as part of a faction fight.

AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is off the record, it’s almost certain who is behind all this anti-Semitism against Jeremy (Corbyn), almost certainly it’s the Israeli embassy..

I dont see any antisemitism over here.

“Yeah, because they caught somebody in the Labour Party and it turns out they were an agent of the embassy.”

If this is true then this isnt antisemitism, nor would it really be if it was a lie.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went past my local Labour Party office earlier today whilst on the bus. In Barnet about 1 in 7 people answered Jewish to the religious question in the last census.

They have a poster saying that 'Labour is for the many, not the few'. My first thought given their lack of action over anti-semitic comments, is that they are becoming 'For not many, nor any Jew'.
sridia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Labour is for the many racists out there.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
People will criticise Israel for a variety of reasons. Some will criticise it purely on grounds its human rights record etc, a legitimate criticism. Others will use criticism of Israel as an acceptable front for their antisemitism. It's problem is that its rather difficult to distinguish between the two.
admonit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by limetang)
People will criticise Israel for a variety of reasons. Some will criticise it purely on grounds its human rights record etc, a legitimate criticism. Others will use criticism of Israel as an acceptable front for their antisemitism. It's problem is that its rather difficult to distinguish between the two.
It's quite simple: antisemitism is characterized by dishonesty and hatred.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Indeed but nevertheless just because some will use criticism as a stalking horse for a more nefarious agenda I feel we would be remiss to treat every remark as anti Semitic until proven otherwise
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing surprises me coming out of labour.

If Naz Shah can get away with her past comments against grooming victims and still be a serving member after all this time. This proves they deserve to be abolished.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Indeed but nevertheless just because some will use criticism as a stalking horse for a more nefarious agenda I feel we would be remiss to treat every remark as anti Semitic until proven otherwise
Oh absolutely. My point wasn't that we should be suspicious of all anti-zionism as a front for anti-semitism (since a lot of it isn't).

I was simply pointing out that it can often be very difficult to distinguish between genuinely legitimate criticism of Israel and as you put it, using anti-zionism as a stalking horse for antisemitism. A statement of fact of the problem. We absolutely shouldn't be trigger happy to run to a conclusion of antisemitism just because someone has criticised Israel, but I don't think its a bad thing to be aware of the fact that some anti-zionist sentiment WILL come from a place of antisemitic sentiment.

Or to put it another way, not everybody (or even perhaps most people) who criticise Israel are antisemites. But most antisemites will criticise Israel.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh absolutely. My point wasn't that we should be suspicious of all anti-zionism as a front for anti-semitism (since a lot of it isn't).

I was simply pointing out that it can often be very difficult to distinguish between genuinely legitimate criticism of Israel and as you put it, using anti-zionism as a stalking horse for antisemitism. A statement of fact of the problem. We absolutely shouldn't be trigger happy to run to a conclusion of antisemitism just because someone has criticised Israel, but I don't think its a bad thing to be aware of the fact that some anti-zionist sentiment WILL come from a place of antisemitic sentiment.

Or to put it another way, not everybody (or even perhaps most people) who criticise Israel are antisemites. But most antisemites will criticise Israel.
Indeed, very well put.
On a similar note though it’s an interesting tactic apologists/evangelicals/zionists etc. use in that they simply label any and all criticism of Israel as racist and anti Semitic (never mind the fact you can’t be racist to a geographic entity) it’s a rather ingenious move on their part to put the kibosh on any debate 😂
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
This is off the record, it’s almost certain who is behind all this anti-Semitism against Jeremy (Corbyn), almost certainly it’s the Israeli embassy..

I dont see any antisemitism over here.

If this is true then this isnt antisemitism, nor would it really be if it was a lie.
It's part of an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that Jews (be they Israelis or not) are trying to control the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads