How to figure out which degree is right for you

Watch
ErvinBoyes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I feel a little bit lost right now. I'm in the middle of exam season right now, and have suddenly realised that maybe my choice of degree might not be the best. I was intending to do a foundation year in Art & Design at my local college, because my intent was to study graphic design at university. However, it was probably the least enjoyable subject at A Level, but I still enjoyed it. I realised that I have somewhat of a passion for my other two subjects too, History and Economics. I read history books in my own time which I think is probably a little weird for most people my age, and I also think I have an interest in Economics, although its hard to be totally sure. I find interest in watching videos of Milton Freidman giving speeches for example, and sometimes I find myself visualising graphs in my head and even creating my own. The whole way in which markets work in the real world just interests me. I have a bit of a dream of becoming an economist or working somewhere such as the Bank of England, rather than the typical investment banking jobs, and it is not the pay which interests me. It was initially this that put me off because I thought it was unrealistic, but actually job opportunities seem positive especially compared to graphic design. Because of this, next year, I intend to do a maths a level and perhaps drop the foundation year so that I have the possibility of doing an economics degree at a decent university, and also to figure out whether I like the whole maths side of things. The problem is, the deadline for UCAS in January, so by that time I need to have 100% figured out what my passion is.

As such, I would really love to know if any of you have been in the same position as me, and if you have any tips for me to figure out what my passion is. I have no idea really what its like to be an economist but no idea how to find out, but I've done work experience in a graphic design agency and somewhat enjoyed it.

My thought was maybe go for economics, as it is a solid degree, and if I hate it then switch to graphic design or perhaps even history in the following year. Then again I'd rather just figure it out early and stop wasting time, as life is short.

If it's of any use, my predicted grades are ABB, but I am pretty confident that I got an A* in graphic design and I will possibly get A's in the other two, possibly even A*'s, but its hard to tell.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by ErvinBoyes; 9 months ago
Grizwuld
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Not quite clear on the timeline:

Your doing exams...what subjects level?

You want to go to uni next year 2020 entry...but your going to do a maths A level in one year?

To find out about economics at uni research their entry requirements and look for the research areas each institution is interested in. Then look for related basic and advanced degree level textbooks, review and see if your still interested. Do you have access to journals you can review?
Izzythestudent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
ALWAYS follow your passion. It’s never too late to change your mind. If you want to do an economics or history degree instead- do it.
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
Ah I should have made that clearer, I'm doing a levels.

I am not intending to go into uni next year. I was intending to do a foundation year in Art & Design, which is not a uni course, just something at the local college. I wanted to see what it would be like to study real graphic design for a year. However, I may drop this and just do a maths a level next year, depending on what I feel is the right path. It may be possible to do both at the same time, depending on the workload.

My intent this summer was to buy some uni textbooks to see if I liked what was in them.

As for the journals part, I'm not sure what you mean by 'journals'
(Original post by Grizwuld)
Not quite clear on the timeline:

Your doing exams...what subjects level?

You want to go to uni next year 2020 entry...but your going to do a maths A level in one year?

To find out about economics at uni research their entry requirements and look for the research areas each institution is interested in. Then look for related basic and advanced degree level textbooks, review and see if your still interested. Do you have access to journals you can review?
Grizwuld
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
"My intent this summer was to buy some uni textbooks to see if I liked what was in them."

Good. Cheaper if you loan them from a library. You can apply to academic libraries (colleges/universities) to use their facilities even if you are not attending the institution. There may be a charge. You will probably need an academic reference so sort out before the hols.

Journals

These are technical academic and professional magazines published on a subject basis (medicine, biology, physics, economics etc.) They contain the latest academic work of scientists and researchers in their respective fields.

If you are going to do economics statistics would go very well with maths and enhance your uni application.

Here are some questions for you:

What is quantitative easing?

What is fractional reserve banking?

Are the activities of the World Bank or the IMF beneficial or inimical to developing countries?

In the light of current US foreign policy for how much longer will the dollar continue to survive as the world's reserve currency.

Who will win the trade war; the US or China?

Still up for economics?

Regards
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grizwuld)
Here are some questions for you:

What is quantitative easing?

What is fractional reserve banking?

Are the activities of the World Bank or the IMF beneficial or inimical to developing countries?

In the light of current US foreign policy for how much longer will the dollar continue to survive as the world's reserve currency.

Who will win the trade war; the US or China?

Still up for economics?
Thank you for the advice. I'd like to ask though, with these questions, are they things you would expect me to know, or just general things that I should research to find out whether I should study economics? I could answer those questions but not very confidently, apart from quantitative easing and fractional reserve banking, simply because we haven't studied the other things in detail this year. The stuff about the IMF and World Bank on my spec this year is barely even economics as there's not much theory behind it, and we don't go in detail about foreign currency reserves at all. Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.44%
No (84)
20.64%
Not sure (77)
18.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed