The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry Paper 2C-4CH1 12th June 2019

Scroll to see replies

in fairness so was I until about ten mins ago lol
Original post by LiamGor
yea i did the last question i was just panicking that there was like a proper titration based question with having to write steps. but thanks for replying, i was just a bit mixed up
yea it was a weird paper, no electrolysis and no longer question - it was easy for me to get a bit paranoid haha
Original post by joejoeeames
in fairness so was I until about ten mins ago lol
Nitrogen reacts with oxygen at high temperatures inside the car engine, oxides to form nitrogen oxide. Nitrogen oxide is acidic and dissolves in clouds in the air to form an acidic solution. It then rains down as acid rain.
Original post by joejoeeames
you could say something like --> nitrous oxides dissolve into the water in atmosphere forming dilute nitric acid causing acid rain that can affect soil acidity levels and therefore kill wildlife
Reply 63
I said the ethanol will turn into ethanoic acid, but only ethanol is wanted. I didnt mention microbial oxidation
Alloy is mixture of 2 different metals.

Metals in an alloy have different sized atoms which breaks up the normal lattice structure and makes it harder for layers of atoms to slide over one another when a force is applied.

The yeast break down glucose using a biological catalyst called enzyme to form the ethanol. If oxygen was present the yeast will break down glucose to form carbon dioxide and water instead.
Original post by Roynull
What was alloy one answer?
And why air must be prevented from fermentation??
Reply 65
Thats wronf, the reason why you dont want oxygen is to prevent the ethanol from turning into ethanoic acid.
Original post by Suley143
Alloy is mixture of 2 different metals.

Metals in an alloy have different sized atoms which breaks up the normal lattice structure and makes it harder for layers of atoms to slide over one another when a force is applied.

The yeast break down glucose using a biological catalyst called enzyme to form the ethanol. If oxygen was present the yeast will break down glucose to form carbon dioxide and water instead.
Actually both work. If oxygen is allowed in system after Fermentation began, Acid forms. If it is allowed before, Water and co2 form.
Original post by Mumu123
Thats wronf, the reason why you dont want oxygen is to prevent the ethanol from turning into ethanoic acid.
Reply 67
For the reactivity one, was it wrong to put do electrolysis in the aqueous solution and test the gas produced at the anode for bromine/chlorine and the least reactive halide will be produced? or have I just ovetconplicated it completely
Reply 68
Just do displacement and see colour change. Yours might be right though
Original post by leo1233
For the reactivity one, was it wrong to put do electrolysis in the aqueous solution and test the gas produced at the anode for bromine/chlorine and the least reactive halide will be produced? or have I just ovetconplicated it completely
I put to mix both into a beaker. Chlorine is more reactive than bromine and will displace it from its compound to form potassium chloride and bromine as a single free element. The solution would darken to orange as bromine dissolves.
Original post by leo1233
Would I lose a mark of I said that alloys are a mixture of a metal and another metal or carbon that are chemically combined
Alloy is a mixture of 2 or more metals. Your answer is correct also.
Original post by Alaa_Abdelhamid
Would I lose a mark of I said that alloys are a mixture of a metal and another metal or carbon that are chemically combined
And what did I guys write for the one about chlorine and potassium bromide
i did the same method but i said add silver nitrate and nitric acid to test for ion colours
Original post by Suley143
I put to mix both into a beaker. Chlorine is more reactive than bromine and will displace it from its compound to form potassium chloride and bromine as a single free element. The solution would darken to orange as bromine dissolves.
I said that the colour would change from pale green of chlorine to orange brown of bromine as it's displaced

Original post by zara11413
i did the same method but i said add silver nitrate and nitric acid to test for ion colours
Well done! although the question was only asking about reactivity but you got full Mark's there like me hopefully.
Original post by zara11413
For relative atomic mass calculation for chlorine isotopes-

(35 x %abundance)+(37 x %abundance)/100 = 35.4 (1dp).
What was the answer to the last 3 questions on moles and volume?
What did everyone get for the last q?
I might have got this wrong i got 0.0417 mol/dm^3 for volume.
Original post by TleeLemon
What was the answer to the last 3 questions on moles and volume?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending