The Student Room Group

Otoplasty

Hi I've recently undergone otoplasty, in fact I'm two days post op, and wanted to share my experience with others. One of the things I found while researching the procedure is that there was not much information of first hand experience of people who had had this and so wanted to give my personal experience to anyone thinking about getting otoplasty.

Background
I have been bullied for quite some time about my ears including from family. School was the worst but it has also been an issue during adulthood. My ears stuck out quite a lot and were uneven, one side stuck out more than the other, which made the look of them worse I felt. I have spent years having to have a certain hairstyle and not being able to have my hair up or go swimming. I made the decision at the beginning of this year to get otoplasty and began researching surgeons. I went to a few consultations and met a few surgeons but finally decided on The hospital group and I had Mr Ben Khoda as my surgeon.

Day of surgery.
I arrived at the hospital for 9am and was shown to my room quite quickly. I was given everything i would need (compression socks, hair tie etc) and as I was having a local anaesthetic I was offered something to eat. The nurses were great and very friendly answering any questions I had. My surgeon, Mr Khoda came in to see me around 11am to take some photos and marked my ears for the incisions. He also explained what would happen during surgery and after and what to expect. He also went over aftercare and what would happen if my ears popped back out. I went down for my surgery around 2pm.
My surgeon was very nice and explained what he was going to do before he did it. The worst part for me was the local anaesthetic, it hurt way more than I had anticipated. Once numb my surgeon made me comfortable and got started explaining some of the things he was doing for example, he warned me of the smell of blood as he was corterising the wounds.Once finished I was taken back to the ward to rest and be monitored then sent home.

Day 1
following surgery there was no pain at first although the local anaesthetic took a while to wear off. Once it started to wear off I began to feel this throbbing in both of my ears like and earache and got a bad headache. I took some if the medication I had been given, ibuprofen and codeine and within half an hour the pain had reduced. For the first night the pain was really bad, I had earache accompanied by a stinging sensation where the stitches were and my ears were burning. I took my medication but spaced it out through the night. It was quite uncomfortable sleeping with the big bandage wrapped around my head and trying to just sleep in my back so I had a bit if a restless nights sleep.I also had to wear my compression socks to bed which did not help me to get comfortable either.

Day 2
Today had been a better day the pain is still there but had reduced slightly and as long as I take my medication regularly I feel quite comfortable. However, the bandage is getting annoying and have started wanting to take it off but will leave it on for now. It is due to get removed next Thursday at my first appointment which i am looking forward to. I will post another update in a few days and one after my first appointment. If anyone has any questions about my recovery so far feel free to ask.
Was the anaesthetic injected? I don’t know anything about it but I’m just wondering how it hurt?
Reply 2
I went for local anaesthetic so yeah it was, it was injected into several areas if my ear.
Reply 3
It is now 4 days post op and the pain has reduced quite a lot although this is the frequency rather than the severity of the pain. I can still feel my ears throbbing sometimes but it's becoming a bit more manageable without medication now. Its still uncomfortable to sleep at night due to the bandage so I'm looking forward to Thursday when they come off.

Quick Reply

Latest