Which pre 1900 text should I compare to the Wasp Factory? Watch

eswan13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I’m having trouble deciding my coursework texts one of which has to be pre 1900. We have to start drafting it and submit it next term. I’m pretty set on the Wasp Factory but I was caught between Dorian Gray, Frankenstein and a play my teacher recommended called Woyzeck. I haven’t really read any of them yet so I’m not sure what would be best.
I was initially sceptical about Woyzeck because there don’t seem to be many resources online for studying it. The main themes I want to concentrate on are either insanity/psychological trauma or violence and power.
Could anyone help me out please?
Thank you
BogdanK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If those are the themes your interested in and you’ve selected “The Wasp Factory” as your contemporary text I’d recommend you consider “120 days of sodom”. It’s a bit of an insane book written by Marquis de Sade - a french philosopher, writer and propaganda minister during the French Revolution. Where, in “The Wasp Factory” the narrator occasionally lingers on the moral complexity of the violence he’s (she’s) committed and the grief he’s (she’s) caused there is little of this in “120 days of sodom” which chronicles the utmost regeneration of the senses. It can be considered as the theoretical doctrine for any work dealing with sadism (as the Wasp Factory does). It can be very helpful in understanding some of Frank’s varying moods and especially his reason for choosing his third victim, which is, in the end, philosophical consistency and integrity to his principles.
BogdanK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another book that might lead to interesting comparison is “Heart of Darkness”. Given the sadistic and dark elements of “The Wasp Factory”, “Heart of Darkness” can be used as an explanatory text, because it deals with man’s capacity for evil and more specifically the primitive origin of that evil lying dormant within his soul. Another element of the book is its setting, which bears further similarities with “The Wasp Factory”. Both take place amid nature wherein the characters are subjected to this omnipresent but seemingly indifferent entity. Both being about survival in some capacity there exists in both an intimate connection between setting and character, mutually moulding and interacting with one another.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)
24.3%
Jazz (30)
3.8%
Classical (46)
5.82%
Hip-Hop (150)
18.99%
Electronic (53)
6.71%
Indie (129)
16.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise