garrysoloan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
looking for a place to stay at the University of Manchester.

Preferably one with internet access/wifi, have a gym in/close to the place, and self-catered. got any recommendations? either en suite or communal bathroom would be fine.
musicislife2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Been looking at Manchester accommodation as well, with a similar criteria. The Fallowfield campus has a gym, so I would suggest looking at:
• Oak House
• Richmond Park
• Sheavyn House
• Unsworth Park (they’re still building it, but been in a sample room and looks really nice)

Also Burkhardt House in Victoria Park looks decent - it’s the self-catered part of Hulme Hall where you can use the gym.

Whitworth Park (City) has a gym but doesn’t mention anything about internet. Some of the other places in City look alright but not sure about distance from gym and some have Ethernet cables instead of WiFi... I would look online, weigh up your options as well as price etc. and see which will be best for you. Sorry this was such a long answer but hope it helps!
garrysoloan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thanks for the help!

I dont quite get it when they say the place doesnt mention anything about internet. how are we supposed to study then? hope you can shed some light about this
(Original post by musicislife2)
Been looking at Manchester accommodation as well, with a similar criteria. The Fallowfield campus has a gym, so I would suggest looking at:
• Oak House
• Richmond Park
• Sheavyn House
• Unsworth Park (they’re still building it, but been in a sample room and looks really nice)

Also Burkhardt House in Victoria Park looks decent - it’s the self-catered part of Hulme Hall where you can use the gym.

Whitworth Park (City) has a gym but doesn’t mention anything about internet. Some of the other places in City look alright but not sure about distance from gym and some have Ethernet cables instead of WiFi... I would look online, weigh up your options as well as price etc. and see which will be best for you. Sorry this was such a long answer but hope it helps!
queentoadstool
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Heyo, I’m just about to finish my first year at Uni of Manchester so hopefully I can help out.

With regards to WiFi, all university owned accommodation has ‘Eduroam’ - a large WiFi network that you can get onto anywhere on the uni campus and in halls (although it is known to be problematic with PCs/laptops sometimes). But as far as I’m aware - all rooms have Ethernet cable connections for PCs/laptops and honestly it’s super reliable and convenient (more so than the WiFi) so buying an Ethernet cable is totally worth it. Unfortunately I can’t necessarily guarantee the same for the accommodations that aren’t uni owned but exclusive to Uni of Manchester students (IQ Manchester Gardens, Liberty Park etc) but they’d have to be mad not to offer WiFi or an internet connection in student halls 😁

In terms of the gym musicislife2 is right in recommending fallowfield if that’s important to you. Not only is there the Armitage centre, there’s also The Gym just down the road as well if you’d prefer that. Unfortunately I’m not too knowledgeable about the city campus and Victoria Park gyms although a few places do have their own but there’s not any nearby ones that spring to mind besides the Sugden centre

Based one what you’ve said I’d have a look at:
Sheavyn House
Richmond Park
Burkhardt House
Whitworth Park
Oak house has a reputation for being quite loud and rowdy at all hours of the night but if that’s the life for you then by all means go for it.

Hope this helps!
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by garrysoloan)
thanks for the help!

I dont quite get it when they say the place doesnt mention anything about internet. how are we supposed to study then? hope you can shed some light about this
You’re very welcome! 😊
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by queentoadstool)
Heyo, I’m just about to finish my first year at Uni of Manchester so hopefully I can help out.

With regards to WiFi, all university owned accommodation has ‘Eduroam’ - a large WiFi network that you can get onto anywhere on the uni campus and in halls (although it is known to be problematic with PCs/laptops sometimes). But as far as I’m aware - all rooms have Ethernet cable connections for PCs/laptops and honestly it’s super reliable and convenient (more so than the WiFi) so buying an Ethernet cable is totally worth it. Unfortunately I can’t necessarily guarantee the same for the accommodations that aren’t uni owned but exclusive to Uni of Manchester students (IQ Manchester Gardens, Liberty Park etc) but they’d have to be mad not to offer WiFi or an internet connection in student halls 😁

In terms of the gym musicislife2 is right in recommending fallowfield if that’s important to you. Not only is there the Armitage centre, there’s also The Gym just down the road as well if you’d prefer that. Unfortunately I’m not too knowledgeable about the city campus and Victoria Park gyms although a few places do have their own but there’s not any nearby ones that spring to mind besides the Sugden centre

Based one what you’ve said I’d have a look at:
Sheavyn House
Richmond Park
Burkhardt House
Whitworth Park
Oak house has a reputation for being quite loud and rowdy at all hours of the night but if that’s the life for you then by all means go for it.

Hope this helps!
As regards to internet, that sounds ok (as long as it works, it’s fine!) - just some places on the website say that they have internet access and others don’t mention it at all?

How are you finding Manchester so far?
queentoadstool
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As regards to internet, that sounds ok (as long as it works, it’s fine!) - just some places on the website say that they have internet access and others don’t mention it at all?

How are you finding Manchester so far?
Honestly as far as I know that’s just the website’s problem - I’ve visited quite a few accommodations over the year and never had any internet issues.

Personally I love Manchester as a uni - I like the balance between the uni being in the city while also having all the main buildings in one ‘campus’ and Oxford Road is always rather lively. The city itself has so much to do (coming from someone who lives in a small village so maybe everything excites me who knows) and the prices of most things are very reasonable - you can get cinema tickets at the Printworks for £6 (which is an awful lot cheaper than most other cinemas!) and if you do end up living in Fallowfield you can get an annual bus pass very reasonably which is definitely worth it. As you could imagine there’s tons of nightlife and something on every night. Theres a huge range of societies to join as well (which have stalls in freshers week) so there’s definitely something for everyone I’d say which is great because I definitely didn’t fancy clubbing! There’s loads of study spaces around the uni as well or if you’re like me and prefer studying in your room the study space there is more than reasonable, although some accommodations are certainly more modern and roomy than others.

I won’t bang on about my course that much (unless you’re doing maths)but I’m really enjoying it so far and the content/timetabling is manageable and I’m very much enjoying independently studying as well! There are definitely modules I prefer over the others but it’ll be like that with any subject.

Also just because of personal experience - get your accommodation application in as soon as possible (obviously don’t rush your decisions but the sooner the better) because I left it until quite late and ended up being allocated the room of my nightmares (I moved though thank goodness) so don’t do what I did!

Good luck in your decisions!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly as far as I know that’s just the website’s problem - I’ve visited quite a few accommodations over the year and never had any internet issues.

Personally I love Manchester as a uni - I like the balance between the uni being in the city while also having all the main buildings in one ‘campus’ and Oxford Road is always rather lively. The city itself has so much to do (coming from someone who lives in a small village so maybe everything excites me who knows) and the prices of most things are very reasonable - you can get cinema tickets at the Printworks for £6 (which is an awful lot cheaper than most other cinemas!) and if you do end up living in Fallowfield you can get an annual bus pass very reasonably which is definitely worth it. As you could imagine there’s tons of nightlife and something on every night. Theres a huge range of societies to join as well (which have stalls in freshers week) so there’s definitely something for everyone I’d say which is great because I definitely didn’t fancy clubbing! There’s loads of study spaces around the uni as well or if you’re like me and prefer studying in your room the study space there is more than reasonable, although some accommodations are certainly more modern and roomy than others.

I won’t bang on about my course that much (unless you’re doing maths)but I’m really enjoying it so far and the content/timetabling is manageable and I’m very much enjoying independently studying as well! There are definitely modules I prefer over the others but it’ll be like that with any subject.

Also just because of personal experience - get your accommodation application in as soon as possible (obviously don’t rush your decisions but the sooner the better) because I left it until quite late and ended up being allocated the room of my nightmares (I moved though thank goodness) so don’t do what I did!

It sounds like they just forgot to add internet access to some of the pages then 🤔

The uni sounds great! And I love Manchester the city - I’ve been there quite a lot. I heard about the bus pass and have considered getting one - can you get them on a certain website (had a look online but there seems to be lots of different passes)? Really looking forward to joining societies and I’m not into clubbing either!

I’m not doing maths (A-Level is enough for me!) but I’m glad you’re enjoying it 😊

I applied for accommodation a few weeks ago now. I used all my 5 choices - do they eventually order them into 1st, 2nd etc. or do you just get what you’re given?

Thanks for the advice/opinions! 😊
queentoadstool
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It sounds like they just forgot to add internet access to some of the pages then 🤔

The uni sounds great! And I love Manchester the city - I’ve been there quite a lot. I heard about the bus pass and have considered getting one - can you get them on a certain website (had a look online but there seems to be lots of different passes)? Really looking forward to joining societies and I’m not into clubbing either!

I’m not doing maths (A-Level is enough for me!) but I’m glad you’re enjoying it 😊

I applied for accommodation a few weeks ago now. I used all my 5 choices - do they eventually order them into 1st, 2nd etc. or do you just get what you’re given?

Thanks for the advice/opinions! 😊
With regards to the bus pass, the main bus operator around the uni campuses is Stagecoach and in freshers week they had a rep there who guided you through the process of getting a pass on the website to make sure you get it right (as a side note there’s also people like the GP, TV license rep, council officials to register you to vote etc). I paid £240 for a 9 month pass that means I can get on any stagecoach bus in Manchester and it’s definitely paid for itself.

The uni works on a first come first serve basis for accommodation but you’ve got in there pretty early so it’s likely you’ll get one of your top choices. As far as I know they’ll try and give you your first but if it’s a popular place and filled up then they’ll try for your second etc. Most people do end up getting one of their top choices, but I was silly and applied super late for the popular halls (self-catered and en-suite) so it’s no surprise I didn’t get them. If you really don’t like what you’re given you can reject your offer, and there’s the option to transfer halls as well after you move in.

Hope this helps! 😁

Now I’m just curious - what are you going to be studying?
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With regards to the bus pass, the main bus operator around the uni campuses is Stagecoach and in freshers week they had a rep there who guided you through the process of getting a pass on the website to make sure you get it right (as a side note there’s also people like the GP, TV license rep, council officials to register you to vote etc). I paid £240 for a 9 month pass that means I can get on any stagecoach bus in Manchester and it’s definitely paid for itself.

The uni works on a first come first serve basis for accommodation but you’ve got in there pretty early so it’s likely you’ll get one of your top choices. As far as I know they’ll try and give you your first but if it’s a popular place and filled up then they’ll try for your second etc. Most people do end up getting one of their top choices, but I was silly and applied super late for the popular halls (self-catered and en-suite) so it’s no surprise I didn’t get them. If you really don’t like what you’re given you can reject your offer, and there’s the option to transfer halls as well after you move in.

Hope this helps! 😁

Now I’m just curious - what are you going to be studying?
Ah right - it’s good they have everyone there in the first week.

As for accommodation, when I was selecting them it didn’t number them 1-5, I just put them in the order I wanted. Do they eventually number them like this or after you’ve applied is that it?

I’m going to be studying music 🎵😊
queentoadstool
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

As for accommodation, when I was selecting them it didn’t number them 1-5, I just put them in the order I wanted. Do they eventually number them like this or after you’ve applied is that it?

I only got three options which were clearly ordered when I picked so they must’ve changed the system 🤔 but I believe the options would still be ordered, if not hopefully you like your choices!

Ah nice! I did music at A level and know a few people here that study it and from what I’ve gathered they all really enjoy it although it’s a lot of hard work! The music building is very nice too (although sometimes it feels like a maze to me). I really hope you enjoy next year! 😁
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I only got three options which were clearly ordered when I picked so they must’ve changed the system 🤔 but I believe the options would still be ordered, if not hopefully you like your choices!

Ah nice! I did music at A level and know a few people here that study it and from what I’ve gathered they all really enjoy it although it’s a lot of hard work! The music building is very nice too (although sometimes it feels like a maze to me). I really hope you enjoy next year! 😁
I hope my choices turn out ok!

From going to open/applicant days, it sounds really good. We had a tour around the building and it definitely has enough practice rooms! Love the concert hall too.

Thank you! 😊
lauraondago
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
• Oak House
• Richmond Park
• Sheavyn House

Hey!! Can you please detail how a room in Unsworth Park is? There are no pictures with actual rooms on the university's site. Does it look like the sample picture online? Does it have a cabin shower? How are the kitchens, etc. Thanks xx
queentoadstool
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lauraondago)
Hey!! Can you please detail how a room in Unsworth Park is? There are no pictures with actual rooms on the university's site. Does it look like the sample picture online? Does it have a cabin shower? How are the kitchens, etc. Thanks xx
I went past there a few weeks ago and they’re still building it (lol) so it’s unlikely there’s going to be any actual photos for a while - the closest accommodation to it judging by the price-point and description is probably somewhere like Denmark Road so I’d check out those pictures to get a rough idea of what you might get.
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lauraondago)
Hi, I’ve only been in a sample room (bedroom and bathroom), which is basically a caravan type thing in the middle of Fallowfield. The bedroom does look like the one online and the ensuite bathroom looks like it has a decent shower. Don’t know anything else as they’re still building it.
steph4488
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I currently have a room available at MSV just off Oxford Road and really close to UoM! I no longer need this room so need the contract to be taken over by someone! The flat too and it's the only refurbished room left and is £134 per week with bills included. Shared bathroom/kitchen with 3 other flatmates. There is a 24 hour gym on site as well as pool tables and ping pong with regularly hosted film nights and events at the reception area to help everyone meet new friends! I have lived here for 2 years now and have loved it (:
Merry73
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Yes they have changed the system this year. It's just 5 options no first or last choices.
musicislife2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Merry73)
Yes they have changed the system this year. It's just 5 options no first or last choices.
Ah right, thanks 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (9)
39.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
8.7%
No I am happy with my choice (12)
52.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads