If I could go back to the start of Y10.... Watch

HarrietL16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been thinking recently how stupid I have been. At the start of Y10 I should have studied for my subjects, but the whole new feel of 'OMG these are my GCSEs' was stressing me up enough. If you are a Y9 reading this who is about to start Y10 please please don't panic cause really if you start revision after x-mas in y11 you'll still smash those exams. Just prepare all your flash cards, equipment etc at the start so when u come to revise your not wasting time making them (sometimes it can help though to make things while u study). Do any year 11s have the same kind of regrets?
Student040803
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol I’ve only been revising for my GCSEs the night before. I’ve been worried about how little I’m stressed. But yea I kinda agree; people should follow your advice.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
STEM_Nerd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm year 10 and I'm really regretting how much work I did in KS3. And now I'm panicking because I've got mocks next week that I've done no revision for - I know they don't matter but still stressed!!!!
HarrietL16
Rep:
?
Don't stress. I have done 3 sets of mocks at my school throughout y10 and y11 and even though I got stressed, I have now realized how much they have helped me. Don't get upset if u don't get the grades you want/ need cause you still have a load of time to revise. When you get 3 weeks before your actual GCSEs you'll realize how much you could have gone over the content. So just try your best and good luck xx
p.s start properly to revise after christmas is a good time
(Original post by AndrewMarriott3)
I'm year 10 and I'm really regretting how much work I did in KS3. And now I'm panicking because I've got mocks next week that I've done no revision for - I know they don't matter but still stressed!!!!
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As an adult mature student - here's a few for you

Year 9 going into year 10s, you think you have plenty of time to learn everything, which you do, but some of you are taking a high amount of GCSEs so need to start getting your revision ready earlier then you expect. Just do a bit as you go along, especially for maths. Get your stationery together, organized, do flash cards, mind maps etc.

Your mocks are important, they will give you an excellent idea of what the actual exam is like, but also how you yourself will act. So take things on board, don't stress out too much, but do note which bits you need to improve on and do so accordingly. NB for any reasons you can't take your exams (only in extreme circumstances) the board may take your mocks as your results.

Do see the notes below they are important

Year 10s going into year 11s

Yes it is a very stressful time, but by far not the worse - I found doing job interviews and taking my driving test to be worse.

Remember the next few months will change your life, you'll either be successful and go onto your chosen path or fail. I hope the first for you all. It's well worth taking the time out just to make your studies the priority. Remember you are running a marathon and need to peak at the right time.

Your grades, your education = the job you get, the money you will have and thus the lifestyle. I don't want any of you to have to scrimp and live in poverty. Not now, not in the 2020s, so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease revise. It can and will literally change your life for the better and make it so much easier for you.

I personally have had to go back and resit exams as a very mature student. Life has been a struggle, I don't want yours to be. The next year or so will effect the rest of your life. You can resit - yes, but it is sooooooooo much easier to not have to. Please for me, I want you all to get 9s, make it your motto. Do the revision, get prepared and lets see those high marks. I've literally shared a class with people in their 30s, through to their 60s resitting their exams. Education does change lives.

If you have to prioritize your studies, then go for English language and maths (vital to get C/4s and above) and what you want to do in A level. The GCSEs aren't as import as the A levels, but the Universities will still look at them, and some give discounts or help with good grades. One I looked at literally gave money for text books and it wasn't a small amount (if I remember rightly it was £1-2K for textbooks if you were in the top percentage in the course and a course discount of £4K for AAB)

Keep up the awesome work, I know you are all nervous, some scared, you can do this.

Best wishes.
Last edited by Purdy7; 1 month ago
HarrietL16
Rep:
?
Thank you for helping me with giving people advice xx
(Original post by Purdy7)

Year 9 going into year 10s, you think you have plenty of time to learn everything, which you do, but some of you are taking a high amount of GCSEs so need to start getting your revision ready earlier then you expect. Just do a bit as you go along, especially for maths. Get your stationery together, organized, do flash cards, mind maps etc.

Your mocks are important, they will give you an excellent idea of what the actual exam is like, but also how you yourself will act. So take things on board, don't stress out too much, but do note which bits you need to improve on and do so accordingly. NB for any reasons you can't take your exams (only in extreme circumstances) the board may take your mocks as your results.

Yes it is a very stressful time, but by far not the worse - I found doing job interviews and taking my driving test to be worse.

Remember the next few months will change your life, you'll either be successful and go onto your chosen path or fail. I hope the first for you all. It's well worth taking the time out just to make your studies the priority. Remember you are running a marathon and need to peak at the right time.

Your grades, your education = the job you get, the money you will have and thus the lifestyle. I don't want any of you to have to scrimp and live in poverty. Not now, not in the 2020s, so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease revise. It can and will literally change your life for the better and make it so much easier for you.

I personally have had to go back and resit exams as a very mature student. Life has been a struggle, I don't want yours to be. The next year or so will effect the rest of your life. You can resit - yes, but it is sooooooooo much easier to not have to. Please for me, I want you all to get 9s, make it your motto. Do the revision, get prepared and lets see those high marks. I've literally shared a class with people in their 30s, through to their 60s resitting their exams. Education does change lives.

If you have to prioritize your studies, then go for English language and maths (vital to get C/4s and above) and what you want to do in A level. The GCSEs aren't as import as the A levels, but the Universities will still look at them, and some give discounts or help with good grades. One I looked at literally gave money for text books and it wasn't a small amount (if I remember rightly it was £1-2K for textbooks if you were in the top percentage in the course and a course discount of £4K for AAB)

Keep up the awesome work, I know you are all nervous, some scared, you can do this.

Best wishes.
username4690370
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am a year 9- reading this has motivated me- thanks everyone
Zoeyyyyyyyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I worked tooo hard in year 10, please don't stress in year 10. However from year 11 start with maybe an hour or two a day ....this will save soo stress and panic later on. Good luck. And OP's advice is extremely good!
MysticalUnicorn🦄
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm a Year 9, and this advice is amazing. I'm currently doing what you have stated, and I think it's working for most subjects *excluding physics, I swear nothing works for that awful subject 😟*.
We'll all battle through GCSEs 😊
(Original post by Purdy7)

Best wishes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (154)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.71%
No I am happy with my course choice (516)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.55%

Watched Threads