Can organic chemistry come up in inorganic/physical chem?

Watch
dankmemer69
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondering, got an inorganic exam on the 4th and not sure if they can overlap in content.
Last edited by dankmemer69; 2 years ago
fadedposterior
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I've got the AQA Chemistry Paper 1 on the 4th june and that's just inorganic and physical
(Original post by dankmemer69)
Just wondering, got an organic exam on the 4th and not sure if they can overlap in content.
dankmemer69
Rep:
(Original post by fadedposterior)
I've got the AQA Chemistry Paper 1 on the 4th june and that's just inorganic and physical
Same I'm doing AQA paper 1 on the 4th, but you're sure no organic content will come up?

The past papers I've been doing have been a bit... dubious in terms of content.
fadedposterior
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'm definitely sure no organic will come up on paper 1 as that what it states on the spec
Good luck you'll be fine and I hope the grade boundaries are low!
Same I'm doing AQA paper 1 on the 4th, but you're sure no organic content will come up?

The past papers I've been doing have been a bit... dubious in terms of content.
Submit reply
dankmemer69
Rep:
I'm definitely sure no organic will come up on paper 1 as that what it states on the spec
Good luck you'll be fine and I hope the grade boundaries are low!

Submit reply
Good luck, what do you think the grade boundaries are likely to be?

I've heard they've historically been very low for chemistry. Doesn't exactly give me a lot of hope for the exam.
fadedposterior
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Really I've heard that they're notoriously higher than the other two sciences
In 2017 it was around 82% for an A* and 68% for an A
However in 2018 it was around 80% for an A* and 66% for an A.

Honestly I feel that the majority of the exam will be inorganic and calculations.

Good luck, what do you think the grade boundaries are likely to be?

I've heard they've historically been very low for chemistry. Doesn't exactly give me a lot of hope for the exam.
dankmemer69
Rep:
Really I've heard that they're notoriously higher than the other two sciences
In 2017 it was around 82% for an A* and 68% for an A
However in 2018 it was around 80% for an A* and 66% for an A.

Honestly I feel that the majority of the exam will be inorganic and calculations.
You're right, just looked them up. Not sure what I'm on about, well.... high grade boundaries also don't inspire hope.

I really do hope it's majority calculations or equations. I absolutely hate questions where they ask you to suggest something.
fadedposterior
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
What grade are you aiming for?

And i fricking hate the transition metals topic its unbelievably hard.
You're right, just looked them up. Not sure what I'm on about, well.... high grade boundaries also don't inspire hope.

I really do hope it's majority calculations or equations. I absolutely hate questions where they ask you to suggest something.
dankmemer69
Rep:
What grade are you aiming for?

And i fricking hate the transition metals topic its unbelievably hard.
Either A or A*, I'd be happy with an A, would be pleasantly surprised with A*.

I think inorganic/physical just is horrible in general. The difference between each topic is pretty extreme.
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Just wondering, got an inorganic exam on the 4th and not sure if they can overlap in content.
While they can't exam you on organic content, the questions could seem to overlap with organic i.e. work out the rate of reaction for this organic reaction - so that's technically a physical chemistry question, just implemented on a organic reaction
(I don't know actual content, so the rate of reaction is an example)
dankmemer69
Rep:
(Original post by iElvendork)
While they can't exam you on organic content, the questions could seem to overlap with organic i.e. work out the rate of reaction for this organic reaction - so that's technically a physical chemistry question, just implemented on a organic reaction
(I don't know actual content, so the rate of reaction is an example)
Also, stuff like rate equations are inorganic, but on the spec, paper 1 doesn't include rate equations as a relevant topic for the exam.

I'm just not sure on what to revise and what not to, and what I should expect for the exam.
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Also, stuff like rate equations are inorganic, but on the spec, paper 1 doesn't include rate equations as a relevant topic for the exam.

I'm just not sure on what to revise and what not to, and what I should expect for the exam.
I have no idea on actual content - I haven't done A levels in 5 years, everything has changed
But rate equations should be part of physical chemistry, not inorganic - I've spent 4 years doing a degree in chemistry, and we've never done rate equations in inorganic

Just use past papers or the spec for what to revise, they cannot exam you on things which are not part of the spec
dankmemer69
Rep:
(Original post by iElvendork)
I have no idea on actual content - I haven't done A levels in 5 years, everything has changed
But rate equations should be part of physical chemistry, not inorganic - I've spent 4 years doing a degree in chemistry, and we've never done rate equations in inorganic

Just use past papers or the spec for what to revise, they cannot exam you on things which are not part of the spec
Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads