MTG: Build me the ultimate Gruulfriends deck! Watch

artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh on the aforementioned subject of Fiery Cannonade, if you did want an aoe card, Cosmotronic Wave might be nice; it only hits your opponents creatures (for just 1, but that's enough to wipe tokens and Llanowar Elves; also since it's aoe and not targeted, all those hexproof mer also die to it xD), and scales usefully into late game because it also prevents creatures damaged by it from blocking (so you can drop one you've been hanging on to so you can swing for lethal, for example).
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Added Carnage Tyrant, MTG's own Hard-to-Destroy Reptile~

Name:  xln-179-carnage-tyrant.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  192.6 KB
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Added Jadelight Ranger!

Double Explore could give me lands and/or +1/+1 counters, both useful, and it's nice to have the option of binning the card at the top of your library if it's of no help right then, too.
Adding a second one of these, because it's a rare that I actually have multiple copies of. :zomg:
lyer_in_hellfyre
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't think of any; counterspells are the obvious solution, and they're exclusive to Blue. Blinding Fog honestly might be the best mass creature protection spell in Green (in Standard, at least), while Red has nothing of the sort. I think it's just a case of beating opponents before they can draw/cast those spells, or having enough options left over to come back and win even if they do use them.
How 'bout Blood sun, Amplifire, Alpine Moon?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't think of any; counterspells are the obvious solution, and they're exclusive to Blue. Blinding Fog honestly might be the best mass creature protection spell in Green (in Standard, at least), while Red has nothing of the sort. I think it's just a case of beating opponents before they can draw/cast those spells, or having enough options left over to come back and win even if they do use them.
Actually the Planeswalkers in this deck are a great response to Cry and Nova. They don't get hit by the sweepers and they help you build card advantage back up and rebuild. In the meantime they're less likely to get pestered by opposing creatures.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
How 'bout Blood sun, Amplifire, Alpine Moon?
Blood Sun and Alpine Moon are both great cards in the right format (there are some horrible lands outside of Standard), and could shut down the likes of Blast Zone; if my opponent is only playing regular mana producing lands though, they're of limited use. :sadnod:

Amplifire is a card that has always intrigued me, but I've never had the right deck to really warrant trying it out. Could be good, here in a deck full of big creatures. And if it happens to dig up something small (e.g. my Llanowar Elves), at least they'll then be moved to the bottom of the library, as I likely wouldn't need them so much by the time I'm capable of meeting Amplifire's 4 mana cost. I notice it's also an Elemental, so would benefit from the new Chandra cards coming up soon in Core Set 2020.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Actually the Planeswalkers in this deck are a great response to Cry and Nova. They don't get hit by the sweepers and they help you build card advantage back up and rebuild. In the meantime they're less likely to get pestered by opposing creatures.
True. :yes: Though I have run into issues before in my mono Green deck where I get Nissa out early with the help of mana dorks, turn my few lands to creatures, then lose all the creatures to mass removal, leaving me without creatures or mana.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 2 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Adding Amplifire!

Name:  rna-92-amplifire.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  170.5 KB

There's probably a good reason that this doesn't see much play; the high mana cost, the lack of trample, the reliance on luck to bring up a big creature (you wouldn't want to run multiple copies either, in case it keeps revealing other 1/1 Amplifires)... but, it's fun, and I like fun. Plus sides are that it keeps the power and toughness until your next turn, so functions just as well as a big blocker.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Slightly off-topic, but Scryfall has once again updated the 'featured' cards on its front page. Rather than vaguely Pride-related cards, the lineup now includes a range of LGBT+ characters. Not all of them, which is a shame in one sense... but I prefer to look on the bright side, in that there are too many of them to fit.

https://scryfall.com/
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
And back on-topic~ We're half way through the month, and the deck is half way to completion. So far, we have:

9 creatures, of which 6 are Green, 2 are Red, and just 1 is both colours.
5 Planeswalkers, 2 copies of each of the main couple, and the smaller Vivien.
6 instants/sorceries, of which 4 are burn spells, 1 fetches lands, and the enormous Planewide Celebration does whatever you want it to.
1 enchantment in Song of Freyalise.
24 lands, providing an even 50/50 split between both colours.

At this point I'm wondering, which ones are worth having more than just 1 or 2 copies of? Or shall we make this virtually Singleton, a celebration of all that Standard currently has to offer in these two colours? Should we have more cards that enable Proliferate, or that add +1 counters to begin with? How many creatures is optimal? Are my lands okay as they are?

As ever though, I'll be adding stuff based on whatever gets suggested here, so feel free to ignore the above prompts and suggest anything you fancy. :p:
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Also I finally found the "new" version of Magma Spray; Scorchmark, which is 2 damage and exiles anything destroyed, for 1R, so basically a weaker Lava Coil BUT - it's instant speed, so arguably a lot more useful unlike Shock it can't target players, but being able to exile stuff is incredibly useful so I'd recommend it xD
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Adding Scorchmark!

Name:  rna-113-scorchmark.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  167.0 KB

It's unfortunate that it only does 2 damage for the same price of Lava Coil's 4, but diversity in burn spells can be a good thing. Being able to deal with the likes of Arclight Phoenix at instant speed appeals to me greatly.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Paradise Druid added! :blow:

I love Nils Hamm's art, though I think his style shines the most in darker, creepier cards (e.g. Eyes Everywhere, Catacomb Crocodile).
Make that a double~
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Adding Wildgrowth Walker!

Name:  xln-216-wildgrowth-walker.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  179.2 KB

Might as well profit further from the Explore cards, with both life gain and +1/+1 counters... and also, it's an Elemental, something which seems very desirable indeed right now.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Time to address the lack of big red creatures, with Ilharg, the Raze-Boar!

Name:  war-133-ilharg-the-raze-boar.jpg
Size:  170.6 KB

6/6 trampler for 5 mana, which lets you chuck other big creatures onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. :coma: As with all this deck's Mythics so far, I only have the one, but seeing as it's Legendary, that's not the end of the world.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Time to address the lack of big red creatures, with Ilharg, the Raze-Boar!

Name:  war-133-ilharg-the-raze-boar.jpg
Size:  170.6 KB

6/6 trampler for 5 mana, which lets you chuck other big creatures onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. :coma: As with all this deck's Mythics so far, I only have the one, but seeing as it's Legendary, that's not the end of the world.
I have written a poem:
BIG PIG
STOMP STOMP
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Added Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin!

Name:  war-137-krenko-tin-street-kingpin.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  71.4 KB

He's a goblin who makes goblins. Lots and lots of goblins. Useful as chump blockers, or as mana fixing if combined with Song of Freyalise.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Added Evolution Sage! Because this deck needs a reliable Proliferate mechanism which doesn't cost 7 mana. :giggle:

Name:  war-159-evolution-sage.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  152.3 KB
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Added Evolution Sage! Because this deck needs a reliable Proliferate mechanism which doesn't cost 7 mana. :giggle:

Name:  war-159-evolution-sage.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  152.3 KB
And a second. :blow:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
This deck needs more red, so today's addition is Rekindling Phoenix!

Just spent a wildcard on another of these, so it goes in the deck! I'm aware it rotates out in a few months, but there will be some 'post modern' format on Arena to ensure that people can still use the cards that many will have spent real money on, so I'm not going to stop grabbing Ixalan cards anytime soon.

I also wonder whether the fact that the Phoenix turns into an Elemental when killed could be exploited somehow in the Elemental-heavy Core 2020? Might have to look into that.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (138)
13.48%
Excited (93)
9.08%
Worried (193)
18.85%
Terrified (234)
22.85%
Meh (78)
7.62%
Confused (29)
2.83%