The Student Room Group

Early Retirement

Would it be possible to work my ass of for 10-15 years and get as much money as possible and retire early and/or work from home? If so which career would be the best to accomplish this the quickest? I am very open minded and wouldn’t mind doing any job in the world so I am just interested in the highest payed ones.
Many people work from home, that could be achievable before 10-15 years. Retiring after that time certainly isn't common (unless you come into some money some other way!), but I suppose it could be possible if you had earnt enough money :dontknow: Most people who retire early are more like early 50s though so I think around 30 years work is more common!
sure, if you had a very high paying job you could leanFIRE in <10 years or FIRE in 10-20 years. but i'm not convinced that:

a) you have one or are on a reasonable path to getting one (although feel free to prove me wrong with more context)

b) you'll withstand the rampantly high attrition/failure rate that comes with those career paths

c) you are willing to go to the extreme measures required to min/max this scenario to achieve what you want to achieve.. (i.e. complete and utter dedication to the work you're doing even when you hate it or grow bored; having to save >50% of your income post tax income consistently instead of enjoy it; willing to grind the absolute hell and be completely ruthless in order to maximise comp)

Again feel free to provide counter evidence. There are more reasonable goals than what you're aiming for.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Tomas5841
Would it be possible to work my ass of for 10-15 years and get as much money as possible and retire early and/or work from home? If so which career would be the best to accomplish this the quickest? I am very open minded and wouldn’t mind doing any job in the world so I am just interested in the highest payed ones.

Possibly, but without a lot of luck coupled with hard work (share options payouts for example) you would probably need to live in a low cost of living, low tax area and be very frugal. IT contracting/ work in Hong Kong possibly. Oil field or mining contracts? My guess is that you would need to be putting away £80k pa which is a hell of a lot.
I sort of ca do this. I’m an accountant and have always saved most of my income. I also luckily bought in London 15 years ago and scored a mortgage that was base rate plus .15% Which meant it was 0.65% and I could overpay a ton. So now no mortgage. Any bonuses went into pension.
So now I could retire but I am off to university to do more studying instead.
I am not sure with student loans what they are now and high house prices it would be possible now. My flat was 1/3 of the cost to buy than worth now.
But saving any payrises is usually good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending