Sambrina6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys I'm applying for Primary PGCE this year and need to pass my skills test I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences of their tests they've had so far?

Thank you
Rlittle87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I had mine last Tuesday, was really nervous. I thought it went fine, missed one mental arithmetic question as the time went to quickly as I was entering the answer. Unfortunately I didn’t pass. I was out by 3 marks.

I have however rebooked for two weeks time. It will give me a bit more time to brush up. The only downside to failing is they don’t give you specific areas to work on. Mine said mental and written arithmetic and not areas within those areas.

It is all down to practice practice practice. Hope yours goes a lot better than mine.
Sambrina6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. 3 Mark's isn't bad at all well done and goodluck for the next test. I guess practice makes perfect for the mathematics test, how about the literacy one did you pass that one yet?
Rlittle87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did. Although when I was doing the online practice ones I was using my iPad so the text in the comprehension section wasn’t loading properly. So in the practice ones my comprehension was very low. So it surprised me when I passed that if I’m honest. With plenty of practice I’m sure you will be fine.
(Original post by Sambrina6)
Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. 3 Mark's isn't bad at all well done and goodluck for the next test. I guess practice makes perfect for the mathematics test, how about the literacy one did you pass that one yet?
Hk101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I found the literacy test to be easier and the numeracy one to be quite similar (in terms of style of questions) to the practice papers online. With some revision I am sure you'll be fine and pass. I bought a QTS literacy book and numeracy book from Amazon and I found it really helpful as they had some practice questions and it went through everything I needed to know. For the Numeracy, make sure you have revised everything that's on the list provided by the gov website. I used youtube videos for numeracy (there are some videos where people go through the questions and answers from the online practice papers) and I also purchased G & A Numeracy as it has around 20 practice papers and I found the questions were quite similar to the real test. Of course, you don't need to use all of this stuff just go with whatever your learning style is. Have you tried completing some of the free practice papers from the gov website? Good Luck with the process!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads