namjoonisasnack
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is Film Studies A-level like?
What is the course like?
Any sort of information would be appreciated?
iiDeedo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have a very strong (very very very strong) passion for film making and the desire to study more about the film industry I think it’s a great subject to study.Personally I only liked film from the brief passion of film you have by watching movies. I committed to studying a level film and I regret it with my whole heart. It’s a subject that only students who are pursuing a career in the arts field should consider and not those of academic subjects, it’s almost a waste of a subject if your going off to uni to study business, law or medicine.
beachbaby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just offering a different perspective! I studied Film at A Level and got an A, then went onto study it at University and graduated with a 1st. I loved it. It's really theoretical and not just watching movies. I know at 6th Form a lot of people signed up to it because they thought it'd just be watching films all the time - not so!

You definitely do spend time watching films and considering the different elements at play (style / narrative etc). The most interesting part of film studies though, is looking at social / historical contexts and theories etc. At least it was for me! You'll find Film at A Level is a really good vehicle to explore tons of other subjects. You'll use an analytical approach not too dissimilar to what you'd use when studying literature. I studied English Lit alongside Film, and I constantly found concepts from each creeping into the other.

Hope that helps!
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you'll find that A Level Film Studies is more about exploring how and why films are made but also has a practical element of about 30 percent. Its also not dissimilar to studying literature in part. I think it's more when you consider Film at Uni that it really matters because there is a definite divide then between a degree in Film Studies and other Film degrees which are often very practical in nature. However, there are some unis e.g. Bristol, Leeds, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh and Newcastle that have degrees which incorporate Film and these are both practical and academic. I have a friend who took A Level Film Studies and hated it as he expected it to be all practical. I'm not actually sure there is an A Level in Film that is entirely practical mind. Good luck!
(Original post by namjoonisasnack)
What is Film Studies A-level like?
What is the course like?
Any sort of information would be appreciated?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (632)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (794)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed