cocoiou23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey guys,
In prep for the medicine paper on monday, I've been doing some exam questions I found online. There's one particular exam question I'm struggling with:

‘There was little progress in medicine in the Middle Ages.’ How far do you agree? Explain your answer (16)

Any help/pointers with the question will be greatly appreciated
tanteseo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
basically you talk about galen, hippocrates and the church and the extent to which that helped??
Easily an agree question
lilTrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
u can talk bout the limitations of dissection, how religious they were about it because cutting a dead person would mean they go to hell, the incorrect methods such as bloodletting.... yknow... then link to how it hindered development
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
is this history?
Lack of anaesthetics so patients died from shock/pain - Laughing Gas/ Nitrous Oxide introduced by Joseph Priestly in 1772.
Lack of antiseptics mean more patients died from disease contracted after surgey. Carbolic acid first used by Joseph Lister in 1867.
Lack of understanding that microorganisms caused diseases, work of Pasteur in late 1890s and the germ theory.
No women were doctors, societal/religious influences, only males attended universities, only seen as male work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
22.22%
No (35)
77.78%

Watched Threads