The Student Room Group

Bulimia

I am trying to get out of Bulimia , and I haven’t made myself puke today or yesterday for the first time in forever , not due to lack of opportunity but because I just didn’t want to damage myself anymore. The thing is though, I feel so much worse about myself since I stopped. I just want to cry and I feel so off and unusual. Everytime I go to the toilet I feel like I should go and make myself puke while I’m at it. I keep thinking about doing it and I am really scared I will get fatter.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I also suffer from this but for the last two days for me, it's been worse. I don't eat anything until like 9 pm then I vomit it all, meaning I have not actually had any food in 3 days and I've lost 4kg as a result. Obviously, I'm happy with this but I don't want to risk my health so I just tend not to eat at all so I don't throw up. I want to get better, I don't want to lose my hair and teeth but I guess it's become a habit. Everyone's advice is to tell my parents and get help but I can't tell them because they won't understand. (If you're female) we are powerful young women and we can get through this, we just have to believe it.
Original post by Anonymous
I am trying to get out of Bulimia , and I haven’t made myself puke today or yesterday for the first time in forever , not due to lack of opportunity but because I just didn’t want to damage myself anymore. The thing is though, I feel so much worse about myself since I stopped. I just want to cry and I feel so off and unusual. Everytime I go to the toilet I feel like I should go and make myself puke while I’m at it. I keep thinking about doing it and I am really scared I will get fatter.
Reply 2
All I can say is it will get worse before it gets better. You need to figure out what has caused you to to develop an eating disorder. For the most part ED's are maladaptive coping mechanisms for something bigger. When you figure out what that is and deal with it, and replace the ED with more adaptive coping mechanisms, then you won't (theoretically) need the disordered habits.

Get into therapy if possible. Take care OP. Well done on today.
You can do this 👍 good luck. Sorry I can’t be more helpful

First of all, well done for not making yourself puke day. That’s a very brave thing to do! Are you getting support from anybody else, a GP or therapist perhaps? Have you looked into possibly seeing a nutritionist as well?

It’s like stopping smoking. At first you will feel like absolute shite, but then it will get easier and better.

Well done by the way :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pathway
All I can say is it will get worse before it gets better. You need to figure out what has caused you to to develop an eating disorder. For the most part ED's are maladaptive coping mechanisms for something bigger. When you figure out what that is and deal with it, and replace the ED with more adaptive coping mechanisms, then you won't (theoretically) need the disordered habits.

Get into therapy if possible. Take care OP. Well done on today.

Thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by CrazyKieth
You can do this 👍 good luck. Sorry I can’t be more helpful

Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by Fermion.
First of all, well done for not making yourself puke day. That’s a very brave thing to do! Are you getting support from anybody else, a GP or therapist perhaps? Have you looked into possibly seeing a nutritionist as well?

It’s like stopping smoking. At first you will feel like absolute shite, but then it will get easier and better.

Well done by the way :smile:

I once did get into therapy but chickened out so other than friends, I don’t have anyone.
I once did get into therapy but chickened out so other than friends, I don’t have anyone.

That’s okay. You can take things slowly and progress from there. You’ve done the first, hardest step which is prevent yourself from puking :smile:. Perhaps the next step would be looking into therapy, maybe a support group. Just so you have a bit of support.

And also, I’m here for a chat as well if you need to talk to anybody x

Hi, I also suffer from this but for the last two days for me, it's been worse. I don't eat anything until like 9 pm then I vomit it all, meaning I have not actually had any food in 3 days and I've lost 4kg as a result. Obviously, I'm happy with this but I don't want to risk my health so I just tend not to eat at all so I don't throw up. I want to get better, I don't want to lose my hair and teeth but I guess it's become a habit. Everyone's advice is to tell my parents and get help but I can't tell them because they won't understand. (If you're female) we are powerful young women and we can get through this, we just have to believe it.

Sorry, I just realised that I was not being helpful. What helps me sometimes is to either face time or call someone or talk irl to distract me and make me feel better, have fun, listen to music, read, watch movies- anything that can take your mind off things.
As you said you chickened out of going to get help, why may I ask?
Original post by Fermion.
That’s okay. You can take things slowly and progress from there. You’ve done the first, hardest step which is prevent yourself from puking :smile:. Perhaps the next step would be looking into therapy, maybe a support group. Just so you have a bit of support.

And also, I’m here for a chat as well if you need to talk to anybody x

Thank you sm. You seem like a nice person.

I still feel uncomfortable when thinking about going to therapy because I don’t want the pressure to quit doing what I am doing and also don’t want to talk to a stranger face to face about uncomfortable issues. I don’t know if not marking myself vomit is even worth it because right now it just makes me feel worse but I guess I’ll take it one day at a time.
Sorry, I just realised that I was not being helpful. What helps me sometimes is to either face time or call someone or talk irl to distract me and make me feel better, have fun, listen to music, read, watch movies- anything that can take your mind off things.
As you said you chickened out of going to get help, why may I ask?

Dw.
Didn’t feel ready, didn’t want the commitment. Also found it uncomfortable to be asked personal questions by a stranger face to face.
Thank you sm. You seem like a nice person.

I still feel uncomfortable when thinking about going to therapy because I don’t want the pressure to quit doing what I am doing and also don’t want to talk to a stranger face to face about uncomfortable issues. I don’t know if not marking myself vomit is even worth it because right now it just makes me feel worse but I guess I’ll take it one day at a time.

That’s totally understandable. Therapists are trained to such handle situations and definitely won’t pressure you into anything. Even if you relapse and give in to it, they won’t be “angry” or disappointed in you. They will be there for you and offer you the support you need. Perhaps write up a basic diet plan for you to ease you into eating again, and will teach you how to not feel guilty about it. So it’s worth looking into I think. But at least you’ve come on here and talked to someone about it, which is a positive step :smile:, And definitely take it one day at a time, there is no pressure. X
Dw.
Didn’t feel ready, didn’t want the commitment. Also found it uncomfortable to be asked personal questions by a stranger face to face.

Oh ok, makes sense. It doesn't have to be face to face. There's a lot of online help you can get. I'm not really an expert, just talking from experience.
I feel your pain, you don't deserve to and don't need to go through this alone. I also want to add, wow - getting through two days is amazing that would be a big step for me. That just goes to show that you're powerful and can overcome anything.
Good luck for your future and take care of yourself xx

If you still want anyone to talk to feel free xx
Oh ok, makes sense. It doesn't have to be face to face. There's a lot of online help you can get. I'm not really an expert, just talking from experience.
I feel your pain, you don't deserve to and don't need to go through this alone. I also want to add, wow - getting through two days is amazing that would be a big step for me. That just goes to show that you're powerful and can overcome anything.
Good luck for your future and take care of yourself xx

If you still want anyone to talk to feel free xx

Thank you 💖❤️
How about every-time you puke you give your younger sibling £2 (or similar)? You dont have to tell them why youre giving them money - just say youre being nice.

Also - do try to meditate.
(edited 4 years ago)
No worries x
Thank you 💖❤️
Original post by angelike1
How about every-time you puke you give your younger sibling £2 (or similar)? You dont have to tell them why youre giving them money - just say youre being nice.

That actually sounds like a good plan.
Original post by angelike1

Also - do try to meditate.

However it probably would not help how I feel about myself. But still a nice plan. Thanks
That actually sounds like a good plan.

Also buy a calander (or print out the dates for June), and cross off each day you dont make yourself puke - looking at all those Xs will motivate you to keep going.

Quick Reply

Latest