MrsP12
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've got my PGCE interview coming up on the 18th. I'm terrified about the group discussion. We've been given three themes - inclusion, behaviour for learning and developing digital competence skills - but that's about it. What sort of questions/things am I going to be expected to discuss (only one theme will be chosen on the day)? They're such vast themes, I can't learn everything about them before the interview. Do I need to reference things when talking about them? (notes are permitted). Sorry, starting to panic!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrsP12)
Hi, I've got my PGCE interview coming up on the 18th. I'm terrified about the group discussion. We've been given three themes - inclusion, behaviour for learning and developing digital competence skills - but that's about it. What sort of questions/things am I going to be expected to discuss (only one theme will be chosen on the day)? They're such vast themes, I can't learn everything about them before the interview. Do I need to reference things when talking about them? (notes are permitted). Sorry, starting to panic!
Do try not to panic. AFAIK, most unis use the group discussion more as a test of your interpersonal skills, rather than of your knowledge. They want to see how you interact with other trainees to get some idea of your communication skills and how you might work as part of a team.

In terms of research, I would find out the broad perspectives on both sides of the argument- e.g for and against inclusion, for and against ready to learn, and just have some sensible points to make. I don't think you'd be expected to give references.

Personally, I'd try to avoid appearing too fixed in any one position- show you are open to taking other points of view on board as well.

I've also heard that interviewers aren't keen on those who really try to dominate the discussion- it's better if you can seem collaborative and ask others their point of view.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
27.54%
As I expected (22)
31.88%
Harder (25)
36.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.35%

Watched Threads