The Student Room Group

I have no clue to what university I am going to apply to

So I’m currently in year12, almost year 13 and I have no a certain clue to which universities I am going to apply to but I am not entirely sure. I want to do a joint degree in French and economics or french with something business related. Does anyone have any suggestions to what universities are the best for this? Preferably Russel group.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by grandma0615
So I’m currently in year12, almost year 13 and I have no clue to which universities I am going to apply to. I want to do a joint degree in French and economics or french with something business related. Does anyone have any suggestions to what universities are the best for this? Preferably Russel group.

How many Russell group universities offer that combination?

You need to do your own research
So I’m currently in year12, almost year 13 and I have no clue to which universities I am going to apply to. I want to do a joint degree in French and economics or french with something business related. Does anyone have any suggestions to what universities are the best for this? Preferably Russel group.

Nottingham university has a 4 year degree economics with french (BA Hons) this is the only one I know of but you can probably find more good universities that offer it with research x

Russel Group doesn't really mean anything so please don't limit yourself to just those unis. Lots of great unis aren't in the group. Have a look at league tables for your course and click on each uni on that list and make a note of the entry requirements and course summary. Then narrow down your long list to a short list of 5 or so. Then, if possible, go and visit them at open days. That's what I did and it helped me know exactly what I wanted from a university and which ones I felt right at.
There are a number offering this type of course. Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool, Reading, and Warwick all offer joint French/ economics courses. Others offer Economics with French. Exeter do a flexible combined honours where you can combine almost anything and that is worth investigation. Start by thinking how close or far from home you wish to be then book open days and decide from there.
One issue you will come across is that most RG or similar universities will require A level Maths for Economics. If you havent taken A level Maths go for Business studies instead. As for universities would you prepare a big city like Glasgow or a small one like Exeter. Do some research and go to open days. Use ucas course search to check your options and opendays.com to see when universities have open days
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
How many Russell group universities offer that combination?

You need to do your own research

I have done my own research but I was wondering if anyone reading this is doing the course or thinking to do it and know which universities are good for this course ?
Reply 7
Original post by Emily~3695
Nottingham university has a 4 year degree economics with french (BA Hons) this is the only one I know of but you can probably find more good universities that offer it with research x

Thank you. Do you know if Nottingham is any good for this course or even in general ?
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
Russel Group doesn't really mean anything so please don't limit yourself to just those unis. Lots of great unis aren't in the group. Have a look at league tables for your course and click on each uni on that list and make a note of the entry requirements and course summary. Then narrow down your long list to a short list of 5 or so. Then, if possible, go and visit them at open days. That's what I did and it helped me know exactly what I wanted from a university and which ones I felt right at.

I would want to go to a Russel group to help with employability after university and with my budget I don’t think I could go visit all these universities seeing as I live in London and want to go to an. University out of London. What university do you go to and do you like it?
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
There are a number offering this type of course. Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool, Reading, and Warwick all offer joint French/ economics courses. Others offer Economics with French. Exeter do a flexible combined honours where you can combine almost anything and that is worth investigation. Start by thinking how close or far from home you wish to be then book open days and decide from there.

Thank you! I didn’t know that about Exeter.
Original post by swanseajack1
One issue you will come across is that most RG or similar universities will require A level Maths for Economics. If you havent taken A level Maths go for Business studies instead. As for universities would you prepare a big city like Glasgow or a small one like Exeter. Do some research and go to open days. Use ucas course search to check your options and opendays.com to see when universities have open days

I do alevel maths fortunately, thank you!
You need to decide what 'good' means for you. All course structures are different and will have their own benefits. This is why your own research is more valuable
I have done my own research but I was wondering if anyone reading this is doing the course or thinking to do it and know which universities are good for this course ?
I would want to go to a Russel group to help with employability after university and with my budget I don’t think I could go visit all these universities seeing as I live in London and want to go to an. University out of London. What university do you go to and do you like it?

It would be better for you to get a 1st from a good non-RG uni than a 2:1 from an RG one.

I go to a medium sized one, not amazing ranking on the league tables but I absolutely love it. My course is perfect for me, and it's the only one I could see myself studying at.
Unifrog and Ucas both have a list of all the courses available which you can streamline to your subject and then you can work out which ones are within your predicted grades,/ preferable distance from home etc
Thank you. Do you know if Nottingham is any good for this course or even in general ?

Not sure about this course but it is a Russell group uni and from what I’ve heard it is a pretty good uni

Perhaps you're not good enough for non-RusselL Group unis such as St Andrews or Bath...?
Exeter I a really good university 2 hours from Paddington. Quite highly rated for French and Economics. It is a very green beautiful campus which is within walking distance of the city centre. I would definitely look at it unless you want a large city. Cardiff is a decent sized city and the campus is walking distance from the shopping centre. Again a 2 hour train ride from Paddington. Reading is about 1/2 hour from Paddington and I havent been to the campus but understand it is walkable distance to the city centre. Warwick is a very highly rated university but is about 4 miles from the city centre. I would suggest avoiding Glasgow due to distance although you couldd try flying there if you wish. My personal suggestion would be to book Exeter for September. You could try National Express or Megabus if you wish to save money. Reading is worth going to as it has a renowned business school is close to London so would keep the cost down and will probably offer lower grades. Decide between Cardiff and Warwick for the other visit
I do alevel maths fortunately, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending