The Student Room Group

Girlfriend broke up with me, Need a second opinion

Hello readers. If you have the time to help me out, I will be enternally grateful. It's a long story involving long distance (dont judge just yet). Grab a coffee/ tea, we're going for a dive.

Chapter 1: (August 2018) Im just about to turn 25, working in Taiwan as a research assistant and a lecturer at a cram school. My time away was coming to an end and I was 16 days away from leaving. Half way through my working day at the cram school, while I was role playing the examiner for 1-1 students, a girl of 24 walks in, radiant and vibrant, overflowing with charm. We talked for 10minutes and there was already love at first sight. Days go by after texting one another, we had 2 dates, with plenty of flirting from her side, and eventually, the weekend before i leave, she took me to Taipei to stay in a hotel with her for 2 nights. Imagine feeling like you met the perfect person at the wrong time.. cause this was it. I later flew to HongKong for a week stay before travelling back to the UK, to which she followed me there and stayed with me for another 4 nights. Leaving her was heartbreaking and soul destroying, however it was out time to go apart.

Chapter 2: (september 17th) Upon returning to the UK, she often messaged and called, eventually leading to her to asking me if i wanted to try long distance. Ive experienced LDR before and it didnt work out, so i mentioned to her that it may be a bad idea. However a week goes past and things do not change, what i see is a beautiful girl inside and out, chasing me with a great deal of passion, to which won me over. I agreed to the idea. Knowing that next year (sep 2019), we will both be starting our masters in the UK.

3 months in and she visits the UK for the first time (shes well travelled, just not "europe"). I invite her into my parents home and we travelled the UK having a blast. Things went perfectly, despite a few small arguments which are natural after being with each other 24/7 for 1 month. She then returns home. (january 9th)

Chapter 3, my personal problems. (january)

When she had returned home, a small student debt of mine had been postponed in return of payment. Without too much explanation, it ended up going to a debt collection agency. It is not a huge some of money (£1400) but due to complications at the time (delayed return on deposits etc), it put pressure on myself. The girl knew about this financial problem as ive been honest from the start. She was fine with it as shes a rich girl from Taipei, dad is a politician and mum is successful.

Chapter 4: (january 2019) she was very supportive. Time goes by but despite everything, I told her that i will try to see her during the summer. Days after she returned home, she impulsively bought another ticket to come back. 3 months go by and at this point, she begins to feel insecure and we start to argue more on video calls. Simply from spending 12 hours a day on call, it was beginning to be unhealthy and i expressed my concerns, leading to said insecurity on her side.

Chapter 5: (march-april) she arrives in the UK and we had a blast. We celebrated our birthdays together (5 days apart). When we are together in person, everything is perfect. We laugh every secondof the day.... we goof off. We truly do click. After spending a month with my family and I, she returns home. (THIS IS THE TURNING POINT)
Now ive gave you some insight to our story, this is where i need help.

Chapter 6 (everything changes): Now that shes home, at the end of April, she feels deeply upset, as all this time thats passed by, she feels that I wont see her in Taiwan. Remember, i have a financial problem im trying to fix, while she is a wealthy girl with no pressures. At this point in time, she has witnessed first hand how hard im trying to find work, although mostly full time positions. She expressed that i should give up on full time and find a part time job to keep things moving in the right direction. I see sense in that but, thats a short term fix. I was looking for something which benefits us both in the long term. I wanted to fix my debt, save up money to see her, and then by the time she arrives here in the UK, be able to take her out and do many things together which i was unable to afford before.

At this point, we're arguing over nothing, we are stressed out with each other after 20mins of being on call with one another, and things began to break apart. She starts making threats that she loves me but wants to also be single to focus on herself as she feels like shes wasted the year and has not developed as a person. Shes conflicted and is sitting on the fence at this point. As a result, generating a lot of insecurity on my side putting me through huge amounts of anxiety, stress and panic. I tried to adjust to the situation, but it eventually lead to her breaking up with me, 7 days ago to this date.

After breaking up, everything that i was planning for collapsed. Barely sleeping, not eating, trying to exercise to get my mind off of things was just not working.

However, this is the confusing part. Every day since then, she had been increasingly reaching out to me, either through calls or texts (mostly the latter). It feels like she searches for the attention that i used to give her when she wants it. There are times that she states that she misses me and loves me deeply. As it was her decision, ive respected her space and only reply when there is time to do so, sometimes immediately, sometimes hours later. I have told her always, if anything happened between us that i would always chase her.

Imgetting mixed messages from her. As she can be hot and cold for attention at times. She seems very confused with her emotions and her thoughts. I feel like shes just testing me to see if she can still get the attention, but thats a cynical mindset. Shes soft and pure, she has no evil intent in her, thats certain.

2 nights ago we had a good conversation understanding where we both stand. It was clear to me that she wants time to herself due to the large amount of problems she needs to fix, while ill do the same with my life.
We talked again last night and it appears that whenever i have asked about how she feels towards me, she gets pissed off.

allow me to quote some text messages

her "hope youre doing well"
me "im sorry about this evening"
her "no its fine"
me "im still working on things, ill keep you update, i understand your feelings"
her" i know, we need more time"
me " we can work through this, its a rough patch"
her "dont force yourself too much, i dont want you to change into someone else just for me"
me "dont be silly, this is me trying to fix this mess"
her " yes but its been you these last few months too"
me "look, go rest, i got this, rest assured and have faith"
her " i just want us to focus on our own life first before we give any promise to each other" ... "sort your life out first"
me " *explaining my plan* ,
her "dont explain just go do it, dont rush to tell me about your progress, feels like youre doing all this because you want me back but once i do go back, things go back to how they were before"
me " of course not.... i share things with you to show you what its been like these last few months, not just a sudden burst of effort now that things are rocky"
her " i know youre trying. cant say anything now. but i do hope your situation gets better (both emotionally and financially). " i just want to make sure i spend time on the right things now. im not pushing you away"
me " alright, thats good to hear that this is the case"
her " you said you wanted me back and youd chase me and thats your choice. im not refusing or promising.." " my mind hasnt changed since last night (had a similar convo)"

I need people to share their thoughts on this situation. If there are questions, i will answer immediately. Im struggling with this as i have no distraction or friends in my home town to where i am currently staying. While she has made this decision when shes surrounded by friends. Later today she will return to her apartment where she is alone so things may change. I just want to get perspective from the outside looking in.

Thank you for reading if you got this far
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DropKickCombo
Hello readers. If you have the time to help me out, I will be enternally grateful. It's a long story involving long distance (dont judge just yet). Grab a coffee/ tea, we're going for a dive.

Chapter 1: (August) Im just about to turn 25, working in Taiwan as a research assistant and a lecturer at a cram school. My time away was coming to an end and I was 16 days away from leaving. Half way through my working day at the cram school, while I was role playing the examiner for 1-1 students, a girl of 24 walks in, radiant and vibrant, overflowing with charm and just walks straight in. We talked for 10minutes and there was already love at first sight. Days go by after texting one another, we had 2 dates, with plenty of flirting from her side, and eventually, the weekend before i leave, she took me to Taipei to stay in a hotel with her for 2 nights. Imagine feeling like you met the perfect person at the wrong time.. cause this was it. I later flew to HongKong for a week stay before travelling back to the UK, to which she followed me there and stayed with me for another 4 nights. Leaving her was heartbreaking and soul destroying, however it was out time to go apart.

Chapter 2: (september 17th) Upon returning to the UK, she often messaged and called, eventually leading to her to asking me if i wanted to try long distance. Ive experienced LDR before and it didnt work out, so i mentioned to her that it may be a bad idea. However a week goes past and things do not change, what i see is a beautiful girl inside and out, chasing me with a great deal of passion, to which won me over. I agreed to the idea. Knowing that next year (sep 2019), we will both be starting our masters in the UK.

3 months in and she visits the UK for the first time (shes well travelled, just not "europe"). I invite her into my parents home and we travelled the UK having a blast. Things went perfectly, despite a few small arguments which are natural after being with each other 24/7 for 1 month. She then returns home. (january 9th)

Chapter 3, my personal problems. (january)

When she had returned home, a small student debt of mine had been postponed in return of payment. Without too much explanation, it ended up going to a debt collection agency. It is not a huge some of money (£1400) but due to complications at the time (delayed return on deposits etc), it put pressure on myself. The girl knew about this financial problem as ive been honest from the start. She was fine with it as shes a rich girl from Taipei, dad is a politician and mum is successful.

Chapter 4: (january) she was very supportive. Time goes by but despite everything, I told her that i will try to see her during the summer. Days after she returned home, she impulsively bought another ticket to come back to. 3 months go by and at this point, she begins to feel insecure and we start to argue more on video calls. Simply from spending 12 hours a day on call, it was beginning to be unhealthy and i expressed my concerns, leading to said insecurity on her side.

Chapter 5: (march-april) she arrives in the UK and we had a blast. We celebrated our birthdays together (5 days apart). When we are together in person, everything is perfect. We laugh every secondof the day.... we goof off. We truly do click. After spending a month with my family and I, she returns home. (THIS IS THE TURNING POINT)
Now ive gave you some insight to our story, this is where i need help.

Chapter 6 (everything changes): Now that shes home, at the end of April, she feels deeply upset, as all this time thats passed by, she feels that I wont see her in Taiwan. Remember, i have a financial problem im trying to fix, while she is a wealthy girl with no pressures. At this point in time, she has witnessed first hand how hard im trying to find work, although mostly full time positions. She expressed that i should give up on full time and find a part time job to keep things moving in the right direction. I see sense in that but, thats a short term fix. I was looking for something which benefits us both in the long term. I wanted to fix my debt, save up money to see her, and then by the time she arrives here in the UK, be able to take her out and do many things together which i was unable to afford before.

At this point, we're arguing over nothing, we are stressed out with each other after 20mins of being on call with one another, and things began to break apart. She starts making threats that she loves me but wants to also be single to focus on herself as she feels like shes wasted the year and has not developed as a person. Shes conflicted and is sitting on the fence at this point. As a result, generating a lot of insecurity on my side putting me through huge amounts of anxiety, stress and panic. I tried to adjust to the situation, but it eventually lead to her breaking up with me, 7 days ago to this date.

After breaking up, everything that i was planning for collapsed. Barely sleeping, not eating, trying to exercise to get my mind off of things was just not working.

However, this is the confusing part. Every day since then, she had been increasingly reaching out to me, either through calls or texts (mostly the latter). It feels like she searches for the attention that i used to give her when she wants it. There are times that she states that she misses me and loves me deeply. As it was her decision, ive respected her space and only reply when there is time to do so, sometimes immediately, sometimes hours later. I have told her always, if anything happened between us that i would always chase her.

Imgetting mixed messages from her. As she can be hot and cold for attention at times. She seems very confused with her emotions and her thoughts. I feel like shes just testing me to see if she can still get the attention, but thats a cynical mindset. Shes soft and pure, she has no evil intent in her, thats certain.

2 nights ago we had a good conversation understanding where we both stand. It was clear to me that she wants time to herself due to the large amount of problems she needs to fix, while ill do the same with my life.
We talked again last night and it appears that whenever i have asked about how she feels towards me, she gets pissed off.

allow me to quote some text messages

her "hope youre doing well"
me "im sorry about this evening"
her "no its fine"
me "im still working on things, ill keep you update, i understand your feelings"
her" i know, we need more time"
me " we can work through this, its a rough patch"
her "dont force yourself too much, i dont want you to change into someone else just for me"
me "dont be silly, this is me trying to fix this mess"
her " yes but its been you these last few months too"
me "look, go rest, i got this, rest assured and have faith"
her " i just want us to focus on our own life first before we give any promise to each other" ... "sort your life out first"
me " *explaining my plan* ,
her "dont explain just go do it, dont rush to tell me about your progress, feels like youre doing all this because you want me back but once i do go back, things go back to how they were before"
me " of course not.... i share things with you to show you what its been like these last few months, not just a sudden burst of effort now that things are rocky"
her " i know youre trying. cant say anything now. but i do hope your situation gets better (both emotionally and financially). " i just want to make sure i spend time on the right things now. im not pushing you away"
me " alright, thats good to hear that this is the case"
her " you said you wanted me back and youd chase me and thats your choice. im not refusing or promising.." " my mind hasnt changed since last night (had a similar convo)"

I need people to share their thoughts on this situation. If there are questions, i will answer immediately. Im struggling with this as i have no distraction or friends in my home town to where i am currently staying. While she has made this decision when shes surrounded by friends. Later today she will return to her apartment where she is alone so things may change. I just want to get perspective from the outside looking in.

Thank you for reading if you got this far

Neither of you should be in a relationship until you've worked your issues out. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just that your life and hers aren't ready for a relationship yet. Go your separate ways and maybe in the future you can come back together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending