ErvinBoyes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I may want to study economics at university, but I am less enthusiastic about maths. Is a BA economics degree still good to become an economist or have a role in the public sector, for example a job in the Bank of England. Also would it matter if I didn't go to a target university? I was thinking Durham maybe but also others e.g. Essex.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Why do you think doing a course that is a less mathematical version of an inherently mathematical subject, with the aim of working in a job where you will need to use that mathematics constantly in your work, is a good idea? The maths in economics is not "just" statistics, and even in the realm of statistics (and probability) only, the nature of that is very different to the kind of statistics you do in school - it will be closer a more rigorous approach to the calculus you do in school, than descriptive or even basic inferential statistics as done in school.

If you don't like maths, you probably won't enjoy an economics degree, and may not do well. You will definitely not enjoy being an economist and will be heavily limited by the fact that most PhDs and many masters courses in economics are even more mathematical (in the PhD realm, depending on your topic of course, this can be mathematics degree level abstract maths work) than the undergraduate.

There are innumerable non-economic civil service roles that accept any degree background that would probably be much more aligned to your interests and strengths. If you want to pursue economics, you need to become very good at maths and you should realistically enjoy using mathematics fluently to express, evaluate, and solve problems (economic or otherwise). You should spend some time thinking about what your strengths are and carefully considering what route to choose that allows you to use them to the fullest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Open Day – BPC, GDL, LPC and MA Law - Bristol campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 18 Jan '20
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (67)
15.16%
1 (59)
13.35%
2 (57)
12.9%
3 (91)
20.59%
4 (90)
20.36%
5 (78)
17.65%