GCSE Medicine Through Time Exam Question

Watch
LucaJames33
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Help pls:

Explain why there was continuity in the way disease was treated in the period c1500-c1700. You may use the following information in your answer:
• The Great Plague (1665)
• Attitudes in society
You MUST also use information of your own.
LucaJames33
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
bumpppppp
iacanopolizo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps I'd talk about the church still hindering progress and having control over hospitals

Unfortunately, I think I'm just as stumped as you are
iacanopolizo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone else have an ideas?
iacanopolizo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LucaJames33)
Help pls:

Explain why there was continuity in the way disease was treated in the period c1500-c1700. You may use the following information in your answer:
• The Great Plague (1665)
• Attitudes in society
You MUST also use information of your own.
I'm Praying something like this doesn't come up
EliteWhovian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So it's about Renaissance and it's a 12 marker. This is how I'd do it.

Paragraph 1: Due to a lack of scientific alternatives, treatments remained primarily ineffective.
Evidence: During the Great Plague of 1666 – people continued to do predominantly dangerous methods such as bloodlet, purge and burst boils. Patients were also advised to wrap themselves up in layers of wool and then sit by a fire to sweat out the disease: this was still completely ineffective and 100,000 Londoners died of the disease.

Shows that a lack of understanding of scientific alternatives for superstitious beliefs were allowing people to become sicker and sicker.

Paragraph 2: Due to attitudes in society, there was continuity in treatment as people kept turning back to superstitious treatments.
Evidence: Great Plague treatments were self-flagellation, pilgrimage, praying. Similar to Medieval times. 1348 - 40% of London and 60% of Europe killed, Noah's arc - collective suffering.

Shows that people kept turning back to old practices out of desperation. (God punishing them.)

Paragraph 3: Due to the fact that people did not understand the illness itself (cause), the treatments were going to be useless as well.
Evidence: Many of the new chemical cures were based humoural methods, for example, antimony made people sick so that they could rid themselves of bile – something which led to an imbalance in their humours. This made it very similar to most of the treatments designed in the Medieval period, with different mixtures designed to purge the body. New theories such as transference remained totally ineffective, with people attempting to pass their injuries onto objectives such as onions or farmyard animals.

Shows that no understanding of why it happens = no understand of how to treat it.
EliteWhovian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hope this helps!
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
u could also say how everyone still believed in Galen's incorrect theories because his theories agreed with the church, meaning thay no one wanted to go against it to prove him wrong or come up with new methods or thats them doing a sin basically. so they continued with their incorrect methods. also treatment of disease was hindered at the time that religion held more importance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
14.01%
I'm not sure (29)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (196)
31.56%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.09%
I'm not a current university student (296)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise