student3221
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone who has gone on a year abroad could tell me if they thought it was worth it. I am looking at going to America or Australia so language is not an issue. However, my main worry is that if I go on a year abroad in my second year of uni I will lose all my friends I made in first year is this the case??
sam134205
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I'm am international student in America
I think it is worth it having moved from my home country. I get homesick sometimes and I miss my family but I found my university to be a very nice place..
However, I'm not on a year abroad, I'm doing my whole bachelors degree here..

You may lose touch with some of your friends just because of the distance, but since it is just for a year you guys can still be friends again, pick up where you left off..
But then again you can stay in touch a bit regularly and still be friends..
Also, you're going to a new place where you can make a few new connections and friends, so it might help in the end.. Also you may be going there to learn a lot of new stuff so it might be a 'worth it' move..
Hope it helps..
student3221
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by sam134205)
Hi I'm am international student in America
I think it is worth it having moved from my home country. I get homesick sometimes and I miss my family but I found my university to be a very nice place..
However, I'm not on a year abroad, I'm doing my whole bachelors degree here..

You may lose touch with some of your friends just because of the distance, but since it is just for a year you guys can still be friends again, pick up where you left off..
But then again you can stay in touch a bit regularly and still be friends..
Also, you're going to a new place where you can make a few new connections and friends, so it might help in the end.. Also you may be going there to learn a lot of new stuff so it might be a 'worth it' move..
Hope it helps..
Thanks so much for your reply and advice, it's good to hear from a student doing a similar thing.
sam134205
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by student3221)
Thanks so much for your reply and advice, it's good to hear from a student doing a similar thing.
You're welcome.. I'm happy to have shared..
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I studied abroad in Asia in my second year. I wouldn't worry about friendships. At the end of the day, you're at uni for 3 years or so to make the most of it and to push yourself to develop academically and as a person, which studying abroad helps with. You're inevitably going to leave behind uni friends when you graduate so don't let that hold you back from studying overseas.

Having said that, friendships back home survived for me and I don't know anyone whose friendship group had moved on when they returned.
student3221
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Patagonia)
I studied abroad in Asia in my second year. I wouldn't worry about friendships. At the end of the day, you're at uni for 3 years or so to make the most of it and to push yourself to develop academically and as a person, which studying abroad helps with. You're inevitably going to leave behind uni friends when you graduate so don't let that hold you back from studying overseas.

Having said that, friendships back home survived for me and I don't know anyone whose friendship group had moved on when they returned.
Thank you for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.33%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (56)
12.87%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (167)
38.39%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.57%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (85)
19.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.29%

Watched Threads