The Student Room Group

French Student applying in the UK

Hello,

I'm French and currently studying Psychology. Actually, I'll graduate next year and have always wanted to study medicine and live in the UK. I am aware that a few universities in the UK accept students from non scientific backgrounds for their Graduate Entry Medicine (such as Newcastle, Warwick...). Plus, I studied advanced science in highschool for the baccalaureat (basically equivalent as saying I took my A-Levels in Biology/Maths/Chemistry/Physics) and my Psychology degree is more scientific than most (while obviously still not equivalent to a biology degree).

I also know that you should pass the UCAT and also have some relevant healthcare experience.

I have searched the internet a lot and yet, some questions remain... This is why I am desperately looking for someone who, just like me, was a European student and decided to apply in the UK (preferably medicine), or someone who knows about the steps for an EU student as I don't know how bursaries work (if, as an EU student, I am eligible), how I should apply on UCAS, accommodation...

Also, we can't really shadow doctors here in France and it's fairly impossible to get work experience in a hospital if you're not a medical professionnal or student so, aside from working in a nursing home in the summer, I don't think I could get much experience...
And yet, this gives me no experience of the NHS.
Therefore, do you think schools would be more lenient that I don't have much experience coming from another country, or should I really find a solution to get some work experience IN the UK...

Thank you! 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SweetPotato98
Hello,

I'm French and currently studying Psychology. Actually, I'll graduate next year and have always wanted to study medicine and live in the UK. I am aware that a few universities in the UK accept students from non scientific backgrounds for their Graduate Entry Medicine (such as Newcastle, Warwick...). Plus, I studied advanced science in highschool for the baccalaureat (basically equivalent as saying I took my A-Levels in Biology/Maths/Chemistry/Physics) and my Psychology degree is more scientific than most (while obviously still not equivalent to a biology degree).

I also know that you should pass the UCAT and also have some relevant healthcare experience.

I have searched the internet a lot and yet, some questions remain... This is why I am desperately looking for someone who, just like me, was a European student and decided to apply in the UK (preferably medicine), or someone who knows about the steps for an EU student as I don't know how bursaries work (if, as an EU student, I am eligible), how I should apply on UCAS, accommodation...

Also, we can't really shadow doctors here in France and it's fairly impossible to get work experience in a hospital if you're not a medical professionnal or student so, aside from working in a nursing home in the summer, I don't think I could get much experience...
And yet, this gives me no experience of the NHS.
Therefore, do you think schools would be more lenient that I don't have much experience coming from another country, or should I really find a solution to get some work experience IN the UK...

Thank you! 😊

@arigziegler can you help here, please?
Hey,

Send me a PM I can explain everything (in French if you want).
I did most of my work experience in France so it definitely is possible. If you're in the Paris area I can give you the contact details of the doctors that let me shadow them :colondollar:

Edit: Je suis une graduate Française et à King's en médecine l'année prochaine
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply