The Student Room Group

Transferring from Primary Education degree

Hi there!
I am about to finish 1st year in 2 months of my Primary Ed degree, but I am not enjoying it as much as maybe I thought I would. Is it possible to transfer to a different course? (at the same university). Has anyone had anything similar?
Hi

Usually internal transfers rely on there being some similarity between the first years of the courses- which may be hard with primary ed.

I think your best option is to talk to your uni and see what options there are for you. It may be you can't start the second year of another degree, but they can find a place for you in the first year of another course. If you've only used 1 year of student finance, you can still get full finance for another degree. Anyway, talk to your uni, and I'm sure they will be able to help!

Teaching really isn't for everyone, so I do think it would be a good idea to switch to something more general- you can always do a PGCE after your degree if you decide you'd like to teach after all.
Hello

Many students transfer from primary Ed to another undergraduate degree course after the 1st year as it really isn’t for everyone!

This will be fairly easy as many others will probably be doing the same. The usual courses you can transfer to are BA education studies, BA early childhood studies, BA primary education studies. However, other unis may offer others.

You will definitely be able to move to education studies if you feel the teacher training isn’t for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending