The Student Room Group

pursuing a degree in mathematics without doing further maths.

Hello, I am looking to study a degree in mathematical sciences (specifically theoretical physics) and I have not done further maths, how much of a hindrance will this be when it comes to doing my study? cheers.

edit: have offers from mid-tier Russel group unis.
(edited 4 years ago)
as far as im aware you will deal with things like partial differential equations, which is a massive jump from further maths a level. but it depends on the uni, becuase if not everyone has done further maths they will teach you the required stuff
What makes you want to do theoretical physics when you haven't studied Further Maths? Did you have the option to do Further Maths? I'm curious as to how you like theoretical physics if you are unaware of further mathematical ideas. :confused:
Reply 3
i did not have the option to do further maths, however i have in my spare time made an effort to introduce myself to these concepts, i.e imaginary/complex numbers de moivres etc.
Original post by bingbong654
What makes you want to do theoretical physics when you haven't studied Further Maths? Did you have the option to do Further Maths? I'm curious as to how you like theoretical physics if you are unaware of further mathematical ideas. :confused:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sntrules
i did not have the option to do further maths

I'm sorry for your loss :frown:.
Seriously though, you'll be brought up to speed with most of it at uni. If you have offers, it's no problem.

P.s. do you watch 3blue1brown videos?
Reply 5
yes i do, as i said in my edit i watch things like this and have made an attempt outside of school to look into things in further maths
I'm sorry for your loss :frown:.
Seriously though, you'll be brought up to speed with most of it at uni. If you have offers, it's no problem.

P.s. do you watch 3blue1brown videos?
Reply 6
can you check what percentage of students have FM? That might make you more comfortable. Which universities are you looking at?
yes i do, as i said in my edit i watch things like this and have made an attempt outside of school to look into things in further maths

cool :smile:. I'd feel quite let down if my school didn't offer FM so good on you.
University wise, it's more that FM people will be bored rather than you'll struggle.
Reply 8
queens university belfast and university of liverpool
Original post by ajj2000
can you check what percentage of students have FM? That might make you more comfortable. Which universities are you looking at?
Reply 9
cool :smile:. I'd feel quite let down if my school didn't offer FM so good on you.
University wise, it's more that FM people will be bored rather than you'll struggle.

haha, yes at open days ive got that "FM people usually get bored" reply a couple times :tongue:
Reply 10
i did not have the option to do further maths, however i have in my spare time made an effort to introduce myself to these concepts, i.e imaginary/complex numbers de moivres etc.

Have you considered doing STEP papers? Many unis know that some sixth form do not allow students to do FM, and tend to suggest to do STEP paper, which requires only a level math knowledge (except paper III).
Reply 11
Original post by kkboyk
Have you considered doing STEP papers? Many unis know that some sixth form do not allow students to do FM, and tend to suggest to do STEP paper, which requires only a level math knowledge (except paper III).

i have already recieved uni offers, so i have no real 'reason' to do step papers, but thanks anyways... i guess ill look in em
Reply 12
i have already recieved uni offers, so i have no real 'reason' to do step papers, but thanks anyways... i guess ill look in em

Oh fair, didn't see your edits. It won't hinder you, during the first few weeks of uni everyone will be taught the basics to ensure everyone is starting at the same level. Those that have done FM tend to do better only because they practiced more maths than those without.

I've seen the course materials for first years in both queens Mary and Liverpool (have friends there from my sixth form doing Maths), and can assure you that you will do fine without FM, provided that you put the effort and develop proper studying techniques (very essential for Maths).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending