Jazzybear01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
As I'm going through searching for uni courses at this time of year, I've stumbled across urban planning degrees which caught my interest.

Before I joined sixth form, I always thought about applying for a Politics/International Relations degree because of my passion and interest in political issues, in the hopes that I'd pursue postgraduate studies and get a PhD to become an academic in the field of political science. However, I've been feeling that this career path is long and expensive. Then I kept on researching about jobs directly directly related to a politics degree, and there is huge range of careers that I can enter with a politics degree such as the civil service,business and NGOs, but I feel like I won't really enjoy such careers.

I then stumbled across urban planning and I found out there are no specific subjects needed. I do Sociology and Politics at A level and there is some overlap between these subjects and urban planning. Would I be at a disadvantage when applying if I didn't study geography or maths at A-Level?

I've always been intereted in cities and I like how they are designed and shaped,so I feel like I might enjoy this course as much as I enjoy discussing politics. What do you think? Which career path should I choose and why?
Last edited by Jazzybear01; 4 months ago
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You don't need to choose a career path at this stage as with most degrees you will gain a load of transferable skills which can take you into a load of different careers. You may struggle to get into urban planning without a relevant degree but it won't be impossible. Pick the degree that interests you the most. Check entry requirements and if you meet them you will be fine.
(Original post by Jazzybear01)
As I'm going through searching for uni courses at this time of year, I've stumbled across urban planning degrees which caught my interest.

Before I joined sixth form, I always thought about applying for a Politics/International Relations degree because of my passion and interest in political issues, in the hopes that I'd pursue postgraduate studies and get a PhD to become an academic in the field of political science. However, I've been feeling that this career path is long and expensive. Then I kept on researching about jobs directly directly related to a politics degree, and there is huge range of careers that I can enter with a politics degree such as the civil service,business and NGOs, but I feel like I won't really enjoy such careers.

I then stumbled across urban planning and I found out there are no specific subjects needed. I do Sociology and Politics at A level and there is some overlap between these subjects and urban planning. Would I be at a disadvantage when applying if I didn't study geography or maths at A-Level?

I've always been intereted in cities and I like how they are designed and shaped,so I feel like I might enjoy this course as much as I enjoy discussing politics. What do you think? Which career path should I choose and why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads