The Student Room Group

Should I have gone to LSE instead of KCL for IR?

I've just finished my second year at KCL studying International Relations. I was ecstatic to get into KCL as it was my first choice with UCAS, and also as I went through Adjustment to join the IR course, but not switch universities.

However, of present, with the way people compare KCL to some other universities, I've been second-guessing whether I made the right choice. Particularly compared to LSE: whilst KCL has an excellent War Studies department with higher entry requirements for IR, LSE seems to be viewed overall as the higher-achieving institution. That apparently KCL is for "BTECs". Although, on the other hand, I didn't really consider LSE during my UCAS application, partly due to what I'd heard from alumni about its social environment.

I guess I'm now at a place where I worry if I should've chosen LSE for the somewhat better reputation for future prospects, irrespective of the course.

Am I being irrational? Did I make a bad decision?
sorry this is basically kinda disregarding ur question (im in no real position to answer ur question anyways) but from what i heard from others, apparently LSE is real dead anyway from what ive heard from people who go there so theres that i guess
Original post by rekanem
I've just finished my second year at KCL studying International Relations. I was ecstatic to get into KCL as it was my first choice with UCAS, and also as I went through Adjustment to join the IR course, but not switch universities.

However, of present, with the way people compare KCL to some other universities, I've been second-guessing whether I made the right choice. Particularly compared to LSE: whilst KCL has an excellent War Studies department with higher entry requirements for IR, LSE seems to be viewed overall as the higher-achieving institution. That apparently KCL is for "BTECs". Although, on the other hand, I didn't really consider LSE during my UCAS application, partly due to what I'd heard from alumni about its social environment.

I guess I'm now at a place where I worry if I should've chosen LSE for the somewhat better reputation for future prospects, irrespective of the course.

Am I being irrational? Did I make a bad decision?

I think you are being a bit irrational to be honest. KCL is an excellent uni and although LSE has the slightly higher reputation, that is not the case for all subjects and student satisfaction rates are not high. Also, it is completely wrong for someone to have said "KCL is for BTECS" - most of the UK people studying there have very high A level or IB scores. You know really that it is a very competitive uni, so please don't let these worries about minor differences in status ruin your achievement in getting into and doing well on a degree at one of the finest unis in London.

Quick Reply

Latest